Bead blasting a galvanized tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I could use a little advice from the more experience engineers than I. I just picked up a used tank for $60 from my shop, who were holding it for another customer to sell. It's either a PST 104 or a Faber 108, I believe it's the PST because I can't see any white on it at all. I can't make out any markings other than "DOT3AA 2400" and everything else is obscured with his hack job painting. It actually appears that he did something like a vinyl dip on the outside and then painted it. Anyway, there are several spots where the coating has completely chipped off down to the bare metal, and there is absolutely ZERO rust on those bare spots, which is making me believe it must be a galvanized PST.

What I want to know is if I have it glass bead blasted at work (I've had 3 aluminum tanks blasted this way that came out looking great), is there any chance that the glass bead could damage the galvanized surface?

Thanks guys,
Jim

I suppose it's always possible, but I doubt it.

My fiancee has 2 PST 72s from the early 1970s that were apparently bead blasted before we bought them. The finish in them seems to be in perfect condition. They have plenty of dives in fresh and salt water so far so rust. :)

Here they are before we put valves on them:
72s.jpg

Thanks Sparticle. That's a good sign. Hopefully the guys at work can get it blasted this week. I'll be sure to post some before and after pics when I get it back.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom