Beach Renourishment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Let's see if we can start a thread on the pro's and con's of Florida beach renourishment projects. Links to informative news articles, arguments, information is welcome.

Yes, Beach renourishment is postively stupid.

The Venice beach renourishment destroyed a natural reef and replaced it with sand.

I guess one nice thing about the renourishment. I did find a higher percentage of nice teeth immediately following the renourishment than normal.

Walter:
Are there any positive things that can be said about it?

Yeah if you are a condo or beach front home owner.

I still don't understand the argument of renourishment from the condo owners' standpoint. In Boca Raton, we have a handful of towering condos built near the beach, and they are usually the main proponents -for- rebuilding the beach, stating it provides huricane protection from erosion, etc. Chalfonte, Sabal Shores, Sabal Ridge, Presidential Place ... most of the biggest of the big condos on A-1-A just south of Palmetto Park Rd.

What I don't understand is that the beaches behind their condos is wider now than when they were originally built in the 70s. I remember in 1973-75, snorkeling a reef just feet from the surf high marker line. We'd park at the pavillion, and walk south maybe 1/4 mile. Before the condos, we could park -on- A-1-A and just walk across the empty lot. Nice small ledges on the outer edge of the reef. At low tide, the shallow part was exposed, much like it is at Red Reef Park.

I recall about 2-3 yrs ago the beach "erosion" made front page news on the Sun Sentinel with the rocks exposed at that same reef location, and I did write a letter to the editors explaining that was perfectly normal back in the 70s. It even peaked my interest that the old reef might be exposed again. I grabbed my snorkle gear one day and ventured out, but found what was 10-12 ft deep back in the 70s was only 4-5 ft deep from all the renourished sand washing just offshore.

I wish I could find photos of that stretch of beach back before the condos.

I wonder if there are any architectural plans for the proposed condominiums prior to being built, and any studies of future erosion.

Yep, just as I thought, here goes Boca again.
Take a look at their beach webcam.
The web page operators have been kind enough to zoom in on the operation.

Boca South Beach Webcam
http://evsboca.netfirms.com/default.htm

Boca Inlet Webcam
http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/webcams/bocainlet/

If you click on the south beach panorama shot, you can see how badly the operation silts up the water.

When I inquired about the stacks of pipes on the beach, one of the local dive boat captains told me they were finally dredging the Boca inlet, a badly needed job. The inlet has been choked by a sand bar created by years of renourished beach sand creeping along the coast by longshore currents. One of the Boca lifeguards I work out with said it was a beach renourishment project.

Isn't that ironic. In Venice, they also have areas that have to be dredged. Cooincidently, these areas are close to where the renourishment is done.

Coming from the industry, there are many benfits to having the beaches renourished. SoFL wouldn't be what it is without tourism.

- Broward’s beaches attract 7.2 millions visitors a year, who spend $422 million annually in Broward County.
- Broward’s beaches contribute $548 million annually to Broward County’s economy.
- Broward’s beaches create 17,700 full-time equivalent jobs in the County.
- Broward’s beaches add $1.4 billion to County property values.
- Broward’s beaches impact local government tax revenues by $29 million annually.
- Broward’s beaches protect from storm wave damage over $4 billion in shorefront property, structures, and infrastructure.

The inlet at Port Everglades is the biggest problem that affect the natural flow of sand on Broward County beaches. There are plans to come up with a bypass to get sand past the port to help alleviate the problem.

Being a diver however, I've seen the effects on sections of reef and on viz in general.

Marc

I've seen these same kind of stats used to defend the scuba diving industry.

From http://www.co.broward.fl.us/extension/marine/sgabout.htm

Competing with coastal development are the natural resources that depend on our shoreline for survival. Nearly 3,000 threatened and endangered sea turtles nest on Broward beaches each year. ... Coral reefs lie as close as 100 yards offshore making them some of the most easily accessed reefs in the world.

Broward County's subtropical environment, coastal location and navigable waterways lend itself to being an ideal place for marine-related recreation. The County welcomes 8.2 million visitors each year and has become one of the country's top year-round travel destinations. Visitors come to enjoy the coastline and participate in water-related activities. In addition to three tracts of natural reefs that run parallel to the coastline, Broward County has created 80 artificial reefs, including 18 major ship wrecks. A 2001 socioeconomic study of reefs in southeast Florida found that reef-related expenditures generate an annual $2.1 billion in sales in Broward County, resulting in $1.1 billion in income to Broward County residents. These reefs are well known by the dive industry and rank as a top dive destination in North America by Scuba Diving dive magazine, attracting diving and fishing enthusiasts from all over the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom