Beach diving on Sunday morning 11-3-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladodessit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone was going beach diving this coming Sunday? I am 41 non smoker, in good shape, about 40 or so dives in the past couple of years. Most in California but boat dives only. I have been wanting for a while to get into beach diving to help me get wet between boat trips. Anybody willing to help? I live in San Fernando valley, so, vets park is probably the closest for me (or something in Malibu, I don't know). But open for any suggestion. Thank you.

Here is one that I know of: http://divevets.com/dive-with-divevets/ Great group.. Have fun!!!
I never have dove with Rev. Al's Sunday morning as I don't think my poor knees could handle the walk down and up the cliff.

I have dove with Rev Al many times at OML (Terrenea).
All are welcome. The group meets in the upper parking lot at 0800, checks out the conditions, then if ok we suit up and go.
Rev Al is good at pairing everyone up.
The walk to the point can be a long one, but not to difficult. The entry can be a bit tricky.
We exit at the cove which has a decent exit (providing the surf is not up).
Group size can vary, anywhere from 4-20 divers.
Dive times are 45-60 minutes on average.
Refreshments post dive for the debrief. Snacks/drinks are always welcome.
Hope this helps.
Tell REV AL bluesteal sent you.

Thank you. I enjoyed diving with Al and the group and debrief. Nice guys. We got in an exited in the cove. Walk down and up is a good workout but is easy. Entrance... Well... I figured it takes some practice:) I ended up kinda crawling in and out. Used bunch of air on entrance. But conditions were decent. Very nice dive site, lotsa life. About 15 feet viz, clearing under thick kelp to about 25. Loved it. Will definitely come back.

Glad you had a good time. We try to enter at the point when conditions are good. Then after the kelp crawl drop down and make our way back over to the cove. Better exiting there, but it can be tricky if the waves are up. I couldn't make it today, family stuff to do.
Sounds like the VIS was not to bad.

I didn't see your post until now. Dive conditions in Malibu lately have been fantastic, although this past weekend visibility dropped down to about 20 feet. Several of us usually dive around Malibu for one morning dive at least on Saturday, dives are typically 60 minutes, depths up to about 45 feet. The water is starting to get colder though, it's down to the high 50s, which feels a little cooler than normal this time of year

If you're looking for something organized, we're not. We've seen Pacific Explorers several times at either Leo Carrillo or Deer Creek, so you might want to check them out. See Welcome

I didn't see your post until now. Dive conditions in Malibu lately have been fantastic, although this past weekend visibility dropped down to about 20 feet. Several of us usually dive around Malibu for one morning dive at least on Saturday, dives are typically 60 minutes, depths up to about 45 feet. The water is starting to get colder though, it's down to the high 50s, which feels a little cooler than normal this time of year

If you're looking for something organized, we're not. We've seen Pacific Explorers several times at either Leo Carrillo or Deer Creek, so you might want to check them out. See Welcome
Oh, I am not looking for anything organized, just for buddy (buddies) that could mentor me a bit for shore diving. I am self-sufficient underwater just wanted some help with advice on getting in and out of water:wink: I do use a lot of air. On dive with DiveVets yesterday I pretty much called turn around because of my air. I used a lot of air on entrance, with reg in the mouth was knocked over and rolled in surf a bit before figuring out what to do:wink: Bigger tank does help but still doubt I could get a full hour dive:shakehead:

Oh, and did I mention I'm Russian? High 50s is nice and balmy for me:cool2: To me it is starting to be refreshing below 55. It is not cold water until my face is totally numb.

Oh, I am not looking for anything organized, just for buddy (buddies) that could mentor me a bit for shore diving. I am self-sufficient underwater just wanted some help with advice on getting in and out of water:wink: I do use a lot of air. On dive with DiveVets yesterday I pretty much called turn around because of my air. I used a lot of air on entrance, with reg in the mouth was knocked over and rolled in surf a bit before figuring out what to do:wink: Bigger tank does help but still doubt I could get a full hour dive:shakehead:

Oh, and did I mention I'm Russian? High 50s is nice and balmy for me:cool2: To me it is starting to be refreshing below 55. It is not cold water until my face is totally numb.

We're talking °F, not °C, so in the 50s isn't balmy! Whether you realize it or not, when the water starts getting into the 50s, you DO get colder and use more air. If you're not wearing proper insulation (we all do beach dives wet), you will suck lots more air than when the water is warmer. When body parts get numb, people start doing stupid things!

Most of us dive with either HP80s or HP100s, and typically come back with over 1/4 of a tank. The tradeoff with bigger tanks are more mass to move around, so easier for waves to knock you around (unless you're a really big boy). Proper equipment and configuration helps as much as technique getting in and out of waves (as well as helping with air consumption). Plus if waves are big enough to roll us going out, we'll usually skip the dive, since coming back in can be worse. Waves have been fairly small lately for Malibu shore dives

I'll let you know our upcoming weekend shore dive plans

Nah, I'm kidding. I've been diving in California, just got thicker skin, I guess, noticed that in general I was always the last one to feel cold on all dives. Thank you for info, keep me in mind if don't mind a new buddy.

Back
Top Bottom