Beach Break Bonanza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Beach Break Bonanza

Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year was this last weekend. Since I am no longer in school one way I know it is summer is when I am able to start swimming again in the ocean without a wetsuit. The temperature is rising. We can all agree the summer is here in North America.

I put away my Slim Fins and decided to pull out my Rip Force Fins ripforce_product
and get into the zone, Surf Zone that is. I started out with a warm up swim out to the buoys and back. I was quite surprised at how well the Rip Force did at the surface. I know how the Slim Fins
slim_product
feel and I was expecting the Rip Force to feel heavy and sluggish comparatively.

It was a great experience. I could feel my upper body being lifted out of the water slightly enough so my breathing became a real dry experience. Of course, I was moving so much faster than free style swimming without fins, but what I really enjoyed was the dry breathing. I could actually get more air into my lungs because I did not have to clear as much water away from my air intake. I was covering twice as much distance using half the effort and I know I will be using these fins for my buoy swims this summer.

As the Surf was picking up, I decided to catch a few waves and was in another class of body surfing with my Rip Force Fins.

swimforce.jpg

I had been body surfing a few days before without fins and now I was using the right equipment for the right job. The difference was night and day.
Instead of riding at the edge of the curl of the wave I could thrust myself out in front of it if needed. It almost felt like I was surfing on a board compared to body surfing without fins. I could get ahead of the wave and catch waves one after another. I also gained control that was never possible without the Rip Force Fins. I was truly planeing on the waves.

I was riding the waves and not being pushed by them. Having the fins did not only make my time in the water more gratifying, but I was able to surf the waves in ways I never thought possible. I know I will be spending more time in the water because it just felt so superior to my previous occasions in the water without wearing Rip Force Fins. Wearing these fins while body surfing makes sense!
Enjoy the summer and get wet!
ripforce1.jpg

I might as well say it first! The picture in the above post is not of the epic day I wrote about and the waves do look small. Any day in the water is a good day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom