Be very careful of the Chinese dive lights on ebay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love my DRIS 1000 but wanted to get a couple of backups for a liveaboard and decided to give a couple of the cheap chinese divelights on Ebay a try.Ordered two of these and they arrived looking shiny and beautiful.

1800Lm 80M Underwater Diving Light CREE XML T6 LED Rechargeable Flashlight Torch | eBay

Filled up a bucket of water and submerged the lights to a depth of 2 feet and let them lay there for one hour. Opened up both and they both had water in the battery case. Would hate to think what would have happened if that had been salt water and the LI batteries had sat in the salt water for several hours/days as the battery decomposed.

Thankfully with ebays help I was able to recoup my money and lesson learned - about to order another DRIS !!!!

Reactions: Jax
I bought chineese waterproof housing for my Sony camera and till now work great.But t was not cheap about 130 USD. I tryed till 20 meters and camera was dry.Think if you buye some little more expensive torch it work good.Here some pictures with chineese housing and Sony camera.
6y8ahudu.jpg
3u7a2u3u.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here's the thing with ANY dive light for serious use. DISASSEMBLE, inspect o rings, lubricate, tighten all nuts/bolts/screws and then carefully reassemble BEFORE use. I have found most mass produced lights are misassembled and therefore run the risk of leaking.

However, I have found that if you anticipate this and do the requisite pre-dive breakdown and rebuild they work just fine.

I have 5 chinese lights and non have leaked to date. I did however have one that had defects in the paint on the sealing face which may have leaked so I had it replaced. Just took a couple of pics and the supplier refunded money for one light.

Reactions: Bom
I have two of THOSE lights, actually.....and I have taken them to >90ft MULTIPLE times and have kept them submerged for over 3 hours in a 6 hour period and they did great :D

Here's the thing with ANY dive light for serious use. DISASSEMBLE, inspect o rings, lubricate, tighten all nuts/bolts/screws and then carefully reassemble BEFORE use. I have found most mass produced lights are misassembled and therefore run the risk of leaking.

+1

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, I have found that if you anticipate this and do the requisite pre-dive breakdown and rebuild they work just fine.

And install some good o-rings that will not be easily damaged in normal use. Most that I have seen are too fat and too soft (and lacking lube).

Often they seem to use silicon O rings which are too soft and damage easily. I change them for Nitrile O rings and they seem fine. Possibly have to get a slightly smaller O ring though as the silicon is so soft and compresses easily and the same size Nitrile O ring may be too thick. I usually try a couple of diameters with same thickness until its a nice and tight fit, but able to screw on easily still.

I've had several of the DRIS 1000's as well as a Chinese light from ebay. I had one of the DRIS lights leak once. DRIS replaced it. So far no problems with the lights from ebay. I'm sure the DRIS lights are made in china anyway, it's just they have enough on hand that they are able to handle warranty replacements themselves.

The ebay light I've got is not the one you listed.

Back
Top Bottom