BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow this thread was refreshing, it's cool to know that SB hasn't changed a bit since my last logon:lotsalove::lotsalove:

I won't use it due to the fact that it's a jacket style BC, Jacket style BC, by design, are loose in fit and when filled tend to sqweeze you at the surface, while underwater, the BC would roll around quite a lot for my taste.

Back inflation resolved the sqweeze issue, and BP resolved the stability issue, therefore I prefer the BP setup.

I would be willing to test a similar gimmic that can be used on a BP setup, to me it's just another type of power inflator, I would have to see it and check it's complexity to make an informed assestment about it's reliability and ease of servicing (at some point it will need service no matter how carefull you are with your gear).

If they make some magic elevator box clone for the BP, I may test it to see how it works, until then, I'll stay away from those jacket style BC, 8yrs of them was enough, I've been 4yrs with a BP and I'll never look back, not even to the back inflates like the DRTP (I got one too).

Good luck with your gear, and will talk about gear after you have at least 50 dives, that was when I felt I really knew something about diving, some people need more dives, some need less dives, but make sure you don't space those dives like a friend of mine that has 50 dives in 15 yrs. Also, you should be more worried about perfecting your diving style than adding a camera to the equation, not that a camera is dificult to operate, but you seem too crud to put all your attention to the camera.
You may overlook some important info by concentrating on the camera, just dive a few more times, get your act together and make sure you've rehearsed your emegency procedures in your head and practice them out on real dives, not only under instruction.
An OW C Card is a licence to keep on learning, most divers never step to Advance courses.
Again, ditch the camera for a few dives and get your routines in order so you can get the full potential out of your camera.
Just my Opinion

I teach new students who have this in the package they have purchased. Here are some of the advantages / disadvantages I have found.

Good...

The student is more likely to remain horizontal since the handle activates the rear lower dump valve.
Button memory on the inflator hose isnt an issue
Grasping around for the inflator hose isnt an issue
Less hoses

Bad ...

If they are vertical, dumping not as good
The little manual inflation hose can get tucked accidently out of reach
If they have to use rental gear, they will be at a disadvantage

Whatever your method the point I'm trying to make is that a diver should never be overweighted. Bottom line, a diver should be able to hold a stop at 10 to 15 feet with an empty BC.

I dive overweighted every dive. Most of the people I dive with do also. We don't wear weightbelts. We don't CHOOSE to be overweight. The simple fact of the matter is that some divers in some configurations will ALWAYS be overweighted. And must mitigate that with redundancy.

Perhaps it might be prudent to say that a diver should not be more overweight than by the weight of their gas. This might be more realistic.

When I began training for OW my dive instructor had a field day with me; arguing all day and evening about how dangerous an i3 could be...

If she had got her way, I'd be diving an exact copy of all her gear; tech of course...

I read and read and read from magazines online and spoke to many different dive shops around the SF Bay Area and none carried the i3 on display but one...

I drove to their location, played with it for a while drove back to my LDS and had them order me one. They nearly fell out of their chairs against all the better judgement they had construed against it....

No one at Break Water has the i3 except me, I have never seen my clone yet. Everyone has what the dive shop sells, or I see tech divers looking like they are on missions for NASA.... Remember they don't dive, they explore and navigate... :)

I'm yet to bump into someone that has any of my gear; wetsuit, regulator, mask, computer or compass I probably never will... I do see a lot of split fin Atomics...

But all my gear is unique to me and how I built it up from scratch, what I believed was fit for me and only me...

I only have 11 dives yes, I'm really new but since my i3 and equipment, I'm really happy and actually have dreams about diving, that's a great experience...

I know that in the future I will dive Tech, I can feel the urge to suit up in all their gear and really explore and become part of NASA with my missions :)

But so far I know that it won't be any time soon and so I continue to roll out my mini adventures in my not so accepted scuba gear the i3 by Sea Quest...

MG

I just want to point again the main feature of the ProQD/i3 BCD, that everybody ignores: all the valves are really one-way. I never ended a dive since I use the i3 while having water inside. In any other BCD that I have used until now, there was some water inside at the end of the dive - not much, but there was.

I'm yet to bump into someone that has any of my gear; wetsuit, regulator, mask, computer or compass I probably never will... I do see a lot of split fin Atomics...

Mike,

Honestly, I don't think anyone here cares what you dive, but having unique gear at a site has definite draw backs. One of the advantages to being a 'clone' is gear interchangeability.

I know that in the future I will dive Tech, I can feel the urge to suit up in all their gear and really explore and become part of NASA with my missions :)

MG
Why not save yourself some money and just start out with what you know you'll end up with? I know it's too late for you, but hopefully, someone else might read this thread and understand they don't need to buy gear a second or third time as their diving evolves.

Why not save yourself some money and just start out with what you know you'll end up with? I know it's too late for you, but hopefully, someone else might read this thread and understand they don't need to buy gear a second or third time as their diving evolves.

+1 for this statement. This is the reason why I got myself a bp/w setup with 17 dives under my belt. If you think you may go down a certain route, why not get that gear from the start, get used to it, learn how to use it and make the learning curve less steep when you are getting into more advanced diving.

Having taken my bp/w for a dive this weekend, I gotta say I will never go back to a jacket again.

Wow,

Let's not over emphasize my statement about diving Tech... I know their are thousands of tech divers reading this thread and wouldn't mind me becomming 1001 diver to the club...

However, I'm fully content with what I have and wouldn't trade it for tech if you spoke to me tommorrow and gave me full credit. I'm doing my navigation and exploring very efficiently as of today.

If I'm ready to upgrade it will be to the Tech equipment. Would I change that tommorrow, NO I WOULD NOT, NOT YET.

I cannot and will not promote the tech equipment BP/W setup etc since I have no eperience in any of that gear. That equipment to me is left to the experts of diving of which I am not.

I'm a beginner and my equipment is super easy compared to what the majority of OW divers dive with under rentals; in my opinion just crude.... and I'm being nice....

My background doesn't allow me to compare and contrast tech equipment with mine... I'm the guppy in the big pond learning but I'm learing with great equipment because I feel safe and that's key in diving....

So all you Tech divers out there, keep diving and promoting your wealth of info to us new divers, knowledge is power, I'm just not one of you yet.... :)

MG

I just had to post something so I could later tell people that yes, I was involved in the dumbest thread in the history of the internet.

Mike,

There are very few pieces of gear that are 'tech' and BP/W is not one of them. In fact, BP/W is simpler than the BCD you dive now. While it is not more 'advanced' than your rig, it is simpler. It takes no more skill to dive BP/W than your current BCD, but it will take some amount of effort to transition from the inflator style you use to a standard inflator.

Trust me, BP/W is no more tech than a SMB. For the most, it's the dive, not the gear, that make it tech.

Back
Top Bottom