BCP and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you might check out the DAN web site. Also do a search on our diving med forum. I'd be willing to bet that there's something in both places.

gemdiver:
I was wondering if anyone had info on the risks involved with diving while on the pill.

Taking a birth control pill has nothing to do with whether you can dive or not....I'm not sure what the connection would be or why you would be asking it.

I'm not saying this to offend....just curious as to why you'd think diving would affect BCP or visa versa

I'm sure this is a question that all of us have wondered about at one time or another. Birth control has become so commonplace that people sometimes forget that there are risks associated with it. Add to that the science involved with diving and questions come up.

Of course, I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think that as long as you do not have any of the risk factors that would normally disclude one from taking the Pill (ie. smoker, high blood pressure, etc.) then there wouldn't be any additional factors to consider while diving. Speaking from experience, I have not had any problems. (Of course, now that I'm using the Patch instead, that opens up a whole other area or questions...)

ok then just asking why would taking or not taking the pill or any kind of birth control have any affect on diving. If you have high blood pressure the pill COULD affect it. If you have high blood pressure anything COULD affect it most certainly diving, without taking BCP. Ask any guy LOL.

I had heard that women are at a higher risk for DCI and that the BCP may or may not have something to do with it. Just wondering if anyone had any information on this subject.

Maybe contacting the Canadian Medical Association or the United States one or whatever.....they may have information. DAN's may.....

last November (2003), a study found that there is an increased risk of DCI in women who are (a) taking the pill and (b) in the first week of their period (i.e. menstruating).

overall, the risk is not high, but the study says that since a lot of women don't dive during this time or make easier dives, the figures could be low.

here's the link:

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/bends101203.shtml

I believe that is the article that I read before, I just couldn't remember where I came across it or any real details about it.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom