BCDs

Which BCD do you prefer?

• Back Inflate

Votes: 120 75.5%
  • Inflate all around chest area

Votes: 39 24.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish_bowl

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine what kind of BCD I want to buy. I am thinking of a back inflate but I have never tried them in the water yet.

You will never go back to a jacket again. Urr that is unless it is cold outside!!

Hallmac

I have been told that I will really like the back inflate. Especially the Dive right one that I have my eye one. Common Lottery.. need some money.. LOL

First, welcome to diving and I know you will have alot of good dive up there.
Second, A back inflate are nice when you are diving but I find when you are on the surface for any amount of time I find that the back inflate want to push your upper body forward and you end up fighting it by kicking. It might be just me but thats what I found would happen.

I used a jacket for 2 nights of training in a pool once, and never used one again. Back inflation does not really have any more of a tendancy to push you forward in the water than a jacket does (at least that has been my experience). I could see a possible forward pushing tendency if you over inflate it at the surface.

Remember, these are not to be confused with life jackets that are specifically designed to keep you from going head under.

I know you didn't mention it, and I don't want to hijack your thread, but you may also do some searching on a backplate/wings setup. I wasn't conviced that these were the way to go, but do the research to find out what they are about.

The back inflate was developed for divers who spend a lot of time on their fronts or in tight spots. The jacket is preferred for general sport diving.
Just be sure you get some good advice and also a chance to try the BC before you commit to an open water dive. Particularly back inflates need a bit of time to get used to.
You do have to keep the back inflate BC and weight system in proper position or it will tip you forward. If the weights are to the front of your body and the air cells to the back, it will obviosuly float you face down. Not a problem - it just has to be understood and avoided - like empty tanks!

Is this why people tend to put weights on their tanks to keep them balanced?

seahunter once bubbled...
The back inflate was developed for divers who spend a lot of time on their fronts or in tight spots. The jacket is preferred for general sport diving.
Just be sure you get some good advice and also a chance to try the BC before you commit to an open water dive. Particularly back inflates need a bit of time to get used to.
You do have to keep the back inflate BC and weight system in proper position or it will tip you forward. If the weights are to the front of your body and the air cells to the back, it will obviosuly float you face down. Not a problem - it just has to be understood and avoided - like empty tanks!

I have the Halcyon 36lb single tank set up with the 10lb weighting system. The weights are to the side and I have never felt like I'm face down on the service.

I found the Jacket cut into my sides and was just all around uncomfortable.

I also believe that the back inflate was around the same time as the horse collar, Jackets came around later to aid instructors, not as an aid to the diver. Just what I understand

JB

I think you should distinguish between a back inflate standard BC and a backplate and wings combination. I had a Ranger for the first year which is a backplace BC but it has tons of crap up front. It also has no hard backing. I t was never a joy to dive in.

I've Now got a halcyon 45 - with the halcyon bp and its an absolute joy to dive in. There is no tendency to have it push you forward at any angle - its just there. At the surface i can be leaning backwards or forwards as well.

Once you've tried a regular bc or even a back inflate regular bc and then go to a backplate, wings and webbing you'll imediately notice how little you have out front getting in the way of things and you'll feel very balanced. There is no comparison and you'll never go back.

steve

Hi Fishbowl,

First welcome to the board! I have a hybrid....it's a BC (not a backplate) that has a wing on the back of it....but also has small bladders on the sides/front...they're pretty low, which I like a lot. I think they call it a dragon-fly design. While I've read folks who don't think much of it, I've got to say I love it. At the surface, it keeps me pretty much perpendicular to the water (while it's true that it's not a life jacket....I do depend on it to keep my head out of the water when I'm at the surface and have my gear on and lead around my waist....that's part of the purpose of having it as far as I'm concerned), and when I'm at depth (and in a more horizontal position) the wing is where the air goes.

The BC I have is a women's BC (SeaQuest Diva LX) but I'm sure they have the hybrid in other models as well.

Good luck and have fun!

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom