BCD's - brand, size, prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swidmaye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

There is a little more gear I have to get before I become open water certified, including my BCD. All the other stuff I have to get is easy enough to decide what to get (snorkel, wetsuit), but BCD's seem pricey and generally pretty similar. Does anyone have a preference for themselves? Are there minor facets I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Everyone,

There is a little more gear I have to get before I become open water certified, including my BCD. All the other stuff I have to get is easy enough to decide what to get (snorkel, wetsuit), but BCD's seem pricey and generally pretty similar. Does anyone have a preference for themselves? Are there minor facets I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Sam

You don't "need" a BC to get certified. Why not rent a while and figure out what style/brand works for you before committing a large amount of money?

At least out here, most shops offering open water classes provide the gear for the class. I think the suggestion to wait until you finish is a good one, because you don't know if there will be any issues that might prevent you from getting certified (including the fact that you might not like diving).

Asking the question, "What BC should I buy?" is a bit like asking, "What car should I buy?" Without knowing what kind of diving you are going to do, it's hard to decide what BC will suit you best. The things that is really important is that what you buy has to FIT you well enough to be comfortable, and still keep the tank stable. BCs that include some kind of rigid component to the back are best for tank stability, but fit is still critical. The BC must be able to cinch down around you and be quite snug -- what you might assume is a good fit while walking around in the store (with no tank on) may turn out to be too generous in the water.

I'd also say to beware of bells and whistles. A BC doesn't have to do very much except keep the tank on your back, and have a flotation bladder to enable buoyancy compensation, but both of those things have to work reliably and easily for the diver. The more complicated you make stuff, the more chance for failure. BC pockets, for example, are often quite difficult to access when you are actually diving, and nobody needs four dump valves on a BC :)

Hm. I never really thought about it that way. I guess I just got the idea that renting would be inconvenient and more expensive in the long run. Plus, I would be able to have a BCD that I liked on all of my future dives, better to start early?

I agree with TSandM. It's commendable that you want to buy your own gear -- this WILL lead to you diving more, but hopefully you'll have the opportunity to try several different styles of BC - back inflate, jacket, BP/W and then choose one that both fits you and the type of diving you want to do. Nothing is more frustrating then buying a piece of gear and then six months later realizing you need another, different piece of gear, and this is exactly what happened to me when it came to my own first BC purchase.

Michael

Speaking from experience it is not best to start early in buying your BC. My BC was bought right after I got Basic OW and after taking so many other classes I've found a ton of weak points and flaws that my BC has with my style of diving.

I would take TSandM's advice on this one.
Dive for a little and talk to a lot of divers, both experienced and new. Think about any info and advice you get critically, and don't just take it as it is. This will give you a small preview of what you're diving style may be like and what BC YOU think will be best for you.

Try several styles of BC before you commit to buying one. Each style has an equal number of advantages and disadvantages. Look for a manufacturer demo or simply ask others you know to try-on their BC in the water.

Some things to consider -
jacket or wing
integrated weights
accessibility of D-rings, pockets, dump valves
Cam band set-up
BC weight (especially if you intend to travel)
comfort - fit

Lastly, I would lean toward a well known manufacturer. You want something that can be serviced and has available replacement parts. Poorly made, usually inexpensive BCs tend not to last long. With proper care, a good BC should last a number of years. Don't rush into buying just to have your own. Do some research - What do other say? Has it been recalled?

You may not want to have a BC as your first major equipment investment. I usually recommend that students think about a regulator as their first big purchase.

If you look through the BC subforum here, you will find all kinds of threads about BCs -- types (jacket, back-inflate, backplate/wing), brands, sizes, weights, suitability for travel . . . there's almost enough information for paralysis by analysis.

But I think it's almost a given that a new diver should accept that what he buys after certification may well not be what he dives a year later, which is another reason why buying the "top-of-the-line platinum extra-fine" BC is a waste of money.

I am one of those divers who bought my first complete set of gear ( including one of those new fangled computers) even before my first pool session. I bought it from my local dive shop, who was knowledgeable and gave me a 20% student discount. That was in 1997. I was very glad to train in the same equipment in which I did my open water dives and my first 150 dives after certification. So I support your idea of having gear of your own. In selecting a bcd, fit is the first thing to look for. Try it on wearing the kind of exposure gear you will be wearing when you use it. Most bcd's will meet a recreational diver's need. I prefer weight integrated bcds. For recreational diving, for me less is more, and I like a light piece of equipment. That is also a factor in packing and luggage weight. I have different bcds for different types of diving now, (4 altogether) but if I had to a have just one for all conditions, I personally am a fan of the Sea Quest Balance. For the women reading this, some companies make bcds designed for women , and my wife is a big fan of the Sea Quest Diva. Have a great time diving. Doing it in equipment that fits and with which you are familiar does make diving even more relaxing and fun.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom