BCD weight distribution issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone.
I am using Mares bolt wing type BCD. My weight distribution on 7mm full suit are 12lbs on the front and 4lbs on the back. For some reason I could not maintain my neutral buoyancy on this wing but I can be 100% perfect on jacket style BCD with the same 7mm suit and weights and weights distribution. On my wings BCD either my head goes up or I tend to roll over on my right side. I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you so much.
Jeric

Diagnosis from afar is always fraught with danger - specifically the danger of completely missing the point. :) But, in reading your post several things come to mind.
Jeric:
My weight distribution on 7mm full suit are 12lbs on the front and 4lbs on the back. For some reason I could not maintain my neutral buoyancy on this wing but I can be 100% perfect on jacket style BCD with the same 7mm suit and weights and weights distribution.
The most likely issue here is that the Mares Bolt SLS is simply more positively buoyant than whatever jacket style BCD you have previously used. After all, the Bolt SLS is touted to be ' . . .Superbly Comfortable and Streamlined . . .', and that comfort is achieved in no small part by the inclusion of ' . . . Special Shoulder Pads . . . Longer, Pre-Shaped and Reinforced . . .', as well as the 'Lumbar Comfort System' that is included.. One price that a diver must pay for the extra (aka unnecessary) padding that provides that 'comfort' is the need to strap on extra lead. So, it is possible that your Bolt SLS is simply more buoyant than your jacket, and you need to add more weight to achieve / maintain neutral buoyancy.
Jeric:
On my wings BCD either my head goes up or I tend to roll over on my right side.
The rolling to the right 'sounds' like it is a weight distribution issue, either a lack of symmetrical distribution of lead, or clipping something with negative buoyancy on the right side of the BCD. It may also be a reflection of something in the design of the unit. But, I would defer comment on that to others who may have first hand experience with the BCD.

The 'head goes up' issue is probably more straightforward. The primary weight pockets on the Bolt SLS are, like so many weight-integrated BCDs, placed in a position that is lower than your physiologic center of lift (your thorax). Underwater, your center of lift and center of weight seek vertical alignment. The majority of your weight is low (only 4 pounds in the trim pockets as I read your post). Plus, the bungee cord on the (huge, 46 lb) wing quite possibly pushes whatever air is in the wing toward the top. The logical solution is to move more of the weight from the primary, waist level weight pockets, to the trim pockets (or even take 3-4 pounds out of the primary pockets and put a couple of ankle weights around your cylinder valve). Obviously, you will want to consider the fact that more of your weight will be non-ditchable in that case. But, it may help distribute the weight in such a way that horizontal trim is more readily achieved.

Hello everyone.
I am using Mares bolt wing type BCD. My weight distribution on 7mm full suit are 12lbs on the front and 4lbs on the back. For some reason I could not maintain my neutral buoyancy on this wing but I can be 100% perfect on jacket style BCD with the same 7mm suit and weights and weights distribution. On my wings BCD either my head goes up or I tend to roll over on my right side. I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you so much.
Jeric

Great. Thank you for the information. Have a nice day.

Diagnosis from afar is always fraught with danger - specifically the danger of completely missing the point. :) But, in reading your post several things come to mind.The most likely issue here is that the Mares Bolt SLS is simply more positively buoyant than whatever jacket style BCD you have previously used. After all, the Bolt SLS is touted to be ' . . .Superbly Comfortable and Streamlined . . .', and that comfort is achieved in no small part by the inclusion of ' . . . Special Shoulder Pads . . . Longer, Pre-Shaped and Reinforced . . .', as well as the 'Lumbar Comfort System' that is included.. One price that a diver must pay for the extra (aka unnecessary) padding that provides that 'comfort' is the need to strap on extra lead. So, it is possible that your Bolt SLS is simply more buoyant than your jacket, and you need to add more weight to achieve / maintain neutral buoyancy.The rolling to the right 'sounds' like it is a weight distribution issue, either a lack of symmetrical distribution of lead, or clipping something with negative buoyancy on the right side of the BCD. It may also be a reflection of something in the design of ther unti. But, I would defer comment on that to others who may have first hand experience with the BCD.

The 'head goes up' issue is probably more straightforward. The primary weight pockets on the Bolt SLS are, like so many wight-integrated BCDs, placed in a position that is lower than your physiologic center of lift (your thorax). Underwater, your center of lift and center of weight seek vertical alignment. The majority of your weight is low (only 4 pounds in the trim pockets as I read your post). Plus, the bungee cord on the (huge, 46 lb) wing quite possibly pushes whatever air is in the wing toward the top. The logical solution is to move more of the weight from the primary, waist level weight pockets, to the trim pockets (or even take 3-4 pounds out of the primary pockets and put a couple of ankle weights around your cylinder valve). Obviously, you will want to consider the fact that more of your weight will be non-ditchable in that case. But, it may help distribute the weight in such a way that horizontal trim is more readily achieved.

Good points. Thank you so much.

Without knowing what your previous BCD was, it is difficult to make comparisons with your new one.
Did your old one have two cam bands, with trim pockets on the upper cam band? It looks like your new one has just one cam band, lower down the tank, so the trim weights are lower; that will contribute to your feet-down position.

My dive buddy/SO has a bolt and has had to do the ankle-weights-around-the-valve to balance out the trim because of the integrated pockets and single tank strap position.
He has since switched to a Zeagle - we added trim pouches to his cam bands and all is good.

Hello everyone.
Thank you so much.
Jeric

Thank you so much for the info.

Diagnosis from afar is always fraught with danger - specifically the danger of completely missing the point. :) But, in reading your post several things come to mind.The most likely issue here is that the Mares Bolt SLS is simply more positively buoyant than whatever jacket style BCD you have previously used. After all, the Bolt SLS is touted to be ' . . .Superbly Comfortable and Streamlined . . .', and that comfort is achieved in no small part by the inclusion of ' . . . Special Shoulder Pads . . . Longer, Pre-Shaped and Reinforced . . .', as well as the 'Lumbar Comfort System' that is included.. One price that a diver must pay for the extra (aka unnecessary) padding that provides that 'comfort' is the need to strap on extra lead. So, it is possible that your Bolt SLS is simply more buoyant than your jacket, and you need to add more weight to achieve / maintain neutral buoyancy.The rolling to the right 'sounds' like it is a weight distribution issue, either a lack of symmetrical distribution of lead, or clipping something with negative buoyancy on the right side of the BCD. It may also be a reflection of something in the design of the unit. But, I would defer comment on that to others who may have first hand experience with the BCD.

The 'head goes up' issue is probably more straightforward. The primary weight pockets on the Bolt SLS are, like so many weight-integrated BCDs, placed in a position that is lower than your physiologic center of lift (your thorax). Underwater, your center of lift and center of weight seek vertical alignment. The majority of your weight is low (only 4 pounds in the trim pockets as I read your post). Plus, the bungee cord on the (huge, 46 lb) wing quite possibly pushes whatever air is in the wing toward the top. The logical solution is to move more of the weight from the primary, waist level weight pockets, to the trim pockets (or even take 3-4 pounds out of the primary pockets and put a couple of ankle weights around your cylinder valve). Obviously, you will want to consider the fact that more of your weight will be non-ditchable in that case. But, it may help distribute the weight in such a way that horizontal trim is more readily achieved.

Thank you. have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom