BCD Remove / Replace Midwater - Backplate BCD w/ Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I was taught this skill in basic traning in 1979, I've never been in a situation where I've needed to remove my setup. Apart from doing demo shows to non-divers in a pool.

If there is something wrong with your setup, call the dive.

PS: I wasn't impressed with the cylinder banging into the coral - poor buoyancy control.
I have done this a number of times. When you hear something bubbling back there, you should check it out. It is helpful to know it it is just a tank o-ring leak or if you have a more serious problem like a hose crack at the ferule. This is particularly the case when you can't really trust the people with whom you are diving.

I solo drift dive in SE FL. I have had to doff and don twice to untangle my flag line from my tank valve. Glad I can perform the task. The skill was required in my SDI Solo class 2013, on the bottom and midwater. I found midwater easier.

I had an issue with longline fishing line getting caught on my tank valve. Did same to get out of it.

The most important part of this exercise is knowing it’s possible and avoiding ever having to do it.
I've never seen it done by anyone in a dry suit, no weight belt, in cold water (I have done it in a BP/W, but with a weight belt, made videos, never got it to be where I'd post online). Doing it in a wetsuit is one thing, dry suit with thick undergarments is another.

If the WRSTC required this to be done in open water, it would be chaos with likely frequent accidents of scuba kit going down and student going uncontrollably up. Pretty sure that's the reason it is done in the safe confines of a pool where often students have no exposure protection and very little lead.

I've never seen it done by anyone in a dry suit, no weight belt, in cold water (I have done it in a BP/W, but with a weight belt, made videos, never got it to be where I'd post online). Doing it in a wetsuit is one thing, dry suit with thick undergarments is another.

If the WRSTC required this to be done in open water, it would be chaos with likely frequent accidents of scuba kit going down and student going uncontrollably up. Pretty sure that's the reason it is done in the safe confines of a pool where often students have no exposure protection and very little lead.
It’s possible, maybe not practical and since it’s possible one just to think it through, vent the suit, don’t let go of the rig etc. knowing you can do something leaves knowing when or if it’s appropriate, your example points to an inappropriate time.

It’s possible, maybe not practical and since it’s possible one just to think it through, vent the suit, don’t let go of the rig etc. knowing you can do something leaves knowing when or if it’s appropriate, your example points to an inappropriate time.
Given that most divers in my area do not use weight belts, I would expect that very few would be able to complete this skill in cold water/dry suit/etc, even kneeling on the bottom.

It’s quite hard in drysuit, in doubles, I have tried 😂
Now imagine that it was required for all open water divers.....

While they would have a single tank, all their weight is typically in their scuba kit. That would be a lot to ask a new diver to control that mass and keep it close to their body. Even on their knees. Midwater? Oh boy.....

Based on the comments above, I would imagine that doff and don is not required in the SDI Solo Diver course when done in cold water with a drysuit, is that correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom