BCD management under an overhang - unintended rising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the best section of the boards for this query, but here goes.
2nd post regarding my trip to Komodo National Park, Indonesia over Christmas, and there were 2 scenarios I found problematic here. I'll post them separately
I'm a PADI OW diver, some 35ish dives.

One particular dive, there was a large rocky overhang we were exploring underneath for some time. I did find now and then that I'd seem to start rising and I'd become worried that I'd crash into the overhang and I'd be desperately dumping all the air from my BCD - I don't recall if I had been adjusting my BCD at this point; I do know that I sometimes seem to find that by BCD goes from neutral to negative, and I guess I don't have the experience to know if that I'm doing something (ie unintentionally finning up to make me think it's neutral when it's not)....

of course if I had put air in my BCD and 30s later I was about to headbut the o/hang that's self explanatory, but say I wasn't adjusting the air.....any advice in this sort of situation? would the variation of even a metre of two in depth exploring the area be enough to cause the expansion of BCD air causing an unexpected rise, or am I doing something else wrong here, or is there some way to manage these environments that I'm not aware of?
how deep were you?

the first 30 feet you are going to go through the greatest pressure differential....so you are going to have the hardest time maintaining neutral buoyancy.....changing 1-2 feet in the first 30 feet is going to have a greater impact to buoyancy than 1-2 feet at 60 feet.

at least thats where i run into all my buoyancy issues. i heard 1 diver refer to it as the "witching zone" haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom