BCD failure at 100 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have debated dual bladder, it does in fact bring extra constant thought and work. I went to a lift bag instead as I mentioned before. However, dual bladder does in deed have a place.

Thanks for all the positive input. I sincerely hope that that this thread helps to enlighten other divers of the potential problem and how to go about handling it. Other than dumping weights, I don't remember a failure of this type ever being covered in several training classes I have attended. I may have missed something though.
Several questions have been asked up to now and I will try to answer them.

My BCD was checked on the surface as well as when I exited the boat. I even resurfaced to retrieve a forgotten item. I was on the bottom for several minutes before things went south.

I agree that I was probably heavy based on information I have retrieved from my logbook on previous dives.
With a couple of quick release weights as well as others that would take only a minute to get to, I could have lost 2-3 lbs easily at any time.
I thought about this option but decided that it wasn't necessary as I was making progress and my gas supply was in good shape.
Still, I will be lighter next time.

The BCD failed at the inflator connection on my left shoulder. It was a simple 3/4 inch screw on cap with a vent.

Several folks have talked about a lift bag or sausage. Hate to say it but I just forgot it was there. I never trained for this event and was making it up as I went along..
Again, that is the purpose of this type of dialogue. It promotes thought so others can learn from our mistakes or short comings.

In retrospect, I agree I burned way to much gas attempting to swim up and intercept the anchor line off the bottom.
Even though I could see my line below me leading me to the anchor it was just too much work that added to the stress level.
I had a direct, marked route to the anchor and should have just crawled it out. Just didn't consider that option at the time. I will know next time.

There was a question about this event over a wall or very deep water. Probably wouldn't be solo there as well as looking to dump weight as a last resort if I had run out of the other options that have been mentioned here.

I don't see me or anyone I dive with ever diving again without some sort of additional buoyancy device and knowing how to use it after this experience.

Thanks for the advice and keeping it positive.

The positive part for me in this is how well you have taken the criticism and suggestions. Kudos.

The measure of a man is not if he falls, it is in how he gets up...

Sometime read the book diver down. I made it required reading for my sons when the started to dive. Gives you a lot of food for thought. One of the fatalities recorded was a pull dump that unscrewed in a locker, then assembled wrong. Sounds similar.

I always recommend "Diver Down" too! And I send it to my diving buddies but not as soon as they get certified. Let them have their innocence for a while longer.

You can also blow air into your wetsuit to create a bubble. Last resort, that is.

I have debated dual bladder, it does in fact bring extra constant thought and work. I went to a lift bag instead as I mentioned before. However, dual bladder does in deed have a place.

The second bladder is only used if #1 fails. No lp hose attached. Nothing to think about until the failure of #1.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

For me it drives home how much divers today are dependent upon their equipment. Years ago we didn't have any means of positive buoyancy other than our fins or dropping our weight belt. We routinely did dives of 100 FSW or greater and had to kick like hell to get back to the surface.

When the BC came into production in the 70's the industry used it as an elevator (push to go up; push to go down). This allowed most divers to be over weighted without penalty until a malfunction occurred in the BC.

Over the past 42 years of recreational/technical, military and commercial diving there's one thing that I'm absolutely sure of. Every piece of diving equipment (with perhaps the exception of a snorkel) will malfunction. It's only a matter of time. You can mitigate risk with proper maintenance and care, but the risk can never be eliminated.

Technology today has allowed the diver training standards to be reduced greatly. This is based upon the increases in the technology and its dependability. We now have some divers who are ill prepared to face a catastrophic equipment failure and death and injury occurs.

LarryR, thanks for this posting. It reminds us that *hit happens and we must prepare ourselves for this eventuality every time we dive.

And...here I get yet another opportunity to suggest that if you were using a good pair of freediving fins, the thrust potential would be so high, that getting to the surface without a BC is also unlikely to be a concern....

In perspective....here is a diver that is just heavy from a bad gear matching, probably with split fins....though jets could be bad as well after he tires out from their inefficiency at high power--which would then allow him to sink again--the splits wearer would try to go up off the bottom, and really go no-where....

The Freedive fin Wearer would not only swim up with relative ease, he could stop and pick up an anchor that he saw and wanted, and swim it up also....:) ( We can freedive down to the shallow reefs here in Palm Beach, and pick up the standard anchors the 30 to 50 foot boats sometimes lose on the recks.....and swim them to the surface even with the breath-hold....with freedive fins....Try that with splits or jets, and it would be a one-way trip!!!!! :)

With a couple of quick release weights as well as others that would take only a minute to get to, I could have lost 2-3 lbs easily at any time.

Thank you for posting, Larry. By honestly posting about your experience, you are helping other divers.

The weight dump issue occurred to me.

As someone who dives NC, I wondered where you were and what op you were using. What city were you diving out of? Morehead? Wilmington?

---------- Post added August 9th, 2013 at 08:01 AM ----------

The Freedive fin Wearer would not only swim up with relative ease, he could stop and pick up an anchor that he saw and wanted, and swim it up also....:) ( We can freedive down to the shallow reefs here in Palm Beach, and pick up the standard anchors the 30 to 50 foot boats sometimes lose on the recks.....and swim them to the surface even with the breath-hold....with freedive fins....Try that with splits or jets, and it would be a one-way trip!!!!! :)

That is very interesting. I never thought of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom