BCD Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes concentrate first on the basics Mask, Fins, Snorkel, booties and wetsuit. Each person's skill and comfort level are different right off.
Imho, these should be the first purchase by any diver. These are the most critical to fit and comfort. After these, I can't make up my mind WHAT to recommend.

Take comment's by posters with a grain of salt. BPW's are not the heaven sent item some folks here may lead you to believe.
I'm a HUGE fan of BPWs. ... but I agree, it's why I suggested you try as many styles as you can. I enjoy BPWs so that's what I bought. A lot of divers think BPWs are ONLY for tech divers and that's not the case. A lot of divers get a hefty sales pitch for a jacket and against BPWs because there's not a much of a mark up (or they don't sell) BPWs. I just want divers to make up their own minds.

Enjoy your certification course.

That's the most important thing right there!!! Don't forget it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The two most important factors for choosing a BC are fit and function.

The most important factor is fit. Does the BC you have chosen fit you well? If it fits well and is comfortable for you then that is the most important factor.

Next, does the function for which the BC is designed match your diving needs? If you only dive on vacation in warm tropical waters with very little weight then a lightweight travel BC would work well. But, if you also plan to dive cold water with thick wetsuits the same travel BC may not have sufficient lift to dive the cold water.

A more practical option than the popular back plate/wing set up so often recommended here on SB is a recreational back inflate BC. If for no other reason I find the D-rings are an important part of your BC for hanging the accessories. Unless you are in a dry suit with pockets the lack of D-rings on a BP/W is a significant drawback in my opinion.

I would also recommend you try several types of BC's before you purchase and rent to try if possible. You have plenty of time after you certify and it will take a fair number of dives after certification to figure out which features are best for you.

BPWs have a LACK of D-rings? In what way?? Plus, are you aware you can always add more for the cost of the d-ring and tri-slide ($1.50 total)??

The BCD you mentioned should do you, however, I would recommend a backplate and wing too. A jacket BCD offers no advantage over the BP&W but the BP&W offers several. A BP&W is suitable whatever style of diving you do and will grow with your diving.

A more practical option than the popular back plate/wing set up so often recommended here on SB is a recreational back inflate BC.

Why is a "recreational" back inflate BC more practical than a "recreational" BPW?

If for no other reason I find the D-rings are an important part of your BC for hanging the accessories.

Oh, I see! Well, unlike with a jacket BC, you can string dozens of D-rings on a BPW if you feel that you need lots of them. However I think that the less stuff that you have dangling from your BC the better.

Unless you are in a dry suit with pockets the lack of D-rings on a BP/W is a significant drawback in my opinion.

Pockets are great if you are carrying a lot of stuff. When I need a Nautilus GPS, an extra reel, spare mask and slate, and I'm diving in a 3 mm shorty, I use these. I used to also carry my SMB in a pocket, but now I carry it in a storage pack on my backplate. Some of the time, for shallow, near shore, warm water diving, I don't carry all that stuff. Pockets on a BC or BP/W aren't great, IMHO - limited storage, awkward to use bulky. Shorts on a wetsuit or drysuit pockets are much better. Think about it, do you carry your wallet and keys in a pocket in your pants or on your shirt?

I would also recommend you try several types of BC's before you purchase and rent to try if possible. You have plenty of time after you certify and it will take a fair number of dives after certification to figure out which features are best for you.

I agree with this, it's the advice that always comes out in these threads. Not always that easy to do (find different styles of BC to try), but good if you can do it. Also a good idea to wait until you are certified, since some people don't end up diving as much as they had anticipated when they started the class (or at all!).

Lots of great advice here, the only thing I will add is that when buying a Mares BCD online is make sure the size is correct, they tend to be on the larger size than what is stated, not sure why but a small Mares BCD fits me better than a medium.

Oh and +1 on BPW :D

Mask and snorkel are relatively straight forward but for the rest( bc, computer, fins and regs) I am not sure.
Shopping on line is cheaper but you do have to consider the after sell services.
Don't rush it.
Good luck.

Looks nice. If it's you're first BCD: Congrats! It's going to feel great stepping into your own gear. The bottom line with most questions that are related to gear is your personal preference and price range. If you stick with diving for the long haul, you will buy new gear; you will dive with friends and try their gear; you will dive with strangers and try their gear; you will try gear from dive shops. You'll have many chances to fine-tune your setup. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much money until you know that you're going to stick with it. I would, however, encourage you to eventually buy your own gear. Are you taking your OWD course? If so, what gear are you training with. If your dive shop or instructor has a few different rigs to try out, do that. Sometimes, however, you just use what they have. These manufacturers aren't going to sell you gear that is unsafe (unless, of course, it's a defect in manufacturing, which can happen with any brand). Know, for certain, that the diving community has recruited some of the biggest egos on the planet. Remember: It's your money, your time and your personal preference -- nobody else's. If you can, buy from your local dive shop. Even the cheapest gear they have, if properly cared for, will keep you alive and give you many great dives. There are numerous reasons for shopping at your LDS: meeting local divers, supporting local business, keeping diving alive in your community, trying out new gear...etc. With new gear, you have a warranty. Now, if it's a choice between buying online or no gear at all, by all means, buy online. I must stress that you get it inspected by a certified tech. With you being new to this amazing new world, it's best to fork out a little extra money and buy from your local dive shop. They will usually have great deals on discontinued and/or display models. Don't spend so much right off the start. There's time to build up your supplies. Save some of that money for dive trips.

Hope this helps.

Jw2013,

By now you will be starting to realise there are differing opinions to nearly every piece of kit you can buy for diving. Have a re-read of Ocean Diver theory lesson 02 which covered the basics you will need for both Ocean and Sports Diver training. You Sports Diver theory will cover additional bits of kit, like SMB and DSMB.

I reflect what others have said about getting your own Mask Fins and Snorkel (many don't believe this should be carried any more, but I still do and use it on a regular basis).

The chances are you don't know what type of diving will interest you just yet, which means you will change some of your kit. However, the positive side of that is most kit gets replaced every so many years anyhow.

You could always buy second hand off flee-bay.

When you ask people about the kit their using - keep in the back of your mind that having spend money they're unlikely to admit to making a poor purchase decision, hence the reason I see a large number of twined divers doing single tank dives. They've spend all the money and their going to use the kit – come what may.

Not forgetting re-breathers. If you want to go down this route (Sports Diver with 50 logged dives) don't waste time and money getting kitted out for Open Circuit (OC), just to new for a re-breather. If I was starting out now that's the route I would go and ditch OC completely.

Kind regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom