BCD Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not forgetting re-breathers. If you want to go down this route (Sports Diver with 50 logged dives) don't waste time and money getting kitted out for Open Circuit (OC), just to new for a re-breather. If I was starting out now that's the route I would go and ditch OC completely.

Even with a rebreather, if you have a problem and have to come off the loop, you're back on open circuit, so they're not skills you can just ignore.

When you ask people about the kit their using - keep in the back of your mind that having spend money they're unlikely to admit to making a poor purchase decision, hence the reason I see a large number of twined divers doing single tank dives. They've spend all the money and their going to use the kit – come what may.

I haven't done tech training yet, but I love my doubles and much prefer diving them on single tank dives (I assume you mean dives with no deco obligation?). I really like their stability, their trim, and (especially when solo diving) their redundancy.

I don't dive them just because I bought them...

Even with a rebreather, if you have a problem and have to come off the loop, you're back on open circuit, so they're not skills you can just ignore.

At what point did I say ignore OC?. What you talking about is covered in re-breather training.

fwiw, I've found two of those red handled weight pockets near moorings in different countries.

My friend has a 4-5 year old Mares jacket - not a Dragon. On a recent trip she lost a weight pocket walking thru the surf line - fortunately our last dive of the trip.

I haven't done tech training yet, but I love my doubles and much prefer diving them on single tank dives (I assume you mean dives with no deco obligation?). I really like their stability, their trim, and (especially when solo diving) their redundancy.

I don't dive them just because I bought them...

I know my comment was very generalist, but lately I've had to cut a number of second dives short because my buddy, on twins, hasn't got enough gas to compete a decent 2nd dive.

Kind regards

IMO no new diver should spend significant money on a BC without two steps:

1. Get some dive experience in order to develop the basics of buoyancy control and trim. This will allow you to better evaluate different types of BCs.

2. Try a standard jacket BC, a soft back inflate BC, and a rigid backplate/wing set up, doing at least a decent pool session with each style.

Until you've done both of those things, you simply don't have the ability to objectively choose the best BC type. One option (this is what I did) is buy a used simple jacket BC for $50 or so, and use it for a season or until you've developed some buoyancy skill.

To the OP, when I look at that Mares BC, I think it would be a nightmare to dive with. There's a lot of recreational dive gear that is designed to look good or seem like a good idea in a dive shop showroom. It's entirely different underwater. That's why you need the experience.

I tried it on my early dives after certification and didn't like it. I found SEAC jacket BCs to be nicer. A lot of instructors use Scubapros too.

It's been a while since I've been on here, but here goes. The bcd is the most personal piece of gear you'll ever use. Some advocate buying that first so you can get dialed in. I disagree. It should be one of the last pieces of gear you buy. The bc should "choose" you. Try as many as you can until you find the one that most accommodates your body/attitude/trim etc. There are vests, horse collars, back inflates, jackets (only one I know is the SP Classic), back plates & wings (along with their derivatives). But whatever bc you settle on, make sure it is black. Cool factor is important. No use doing anything if you don't look cool doing it. :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom