BC Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finster

Reaction score
I have an older model Sea Quest Quickdraw and have been having problems keeping the left shoulder strap from falling down. I suppose this is what happens when you lisft weights.

I am told that newer BC's rectified this problem by adding a shoulder cinch strap across the chest. This pulls the shoulders inward and prevents the aforementioned problem. Rather than buying a new BC, I was hoping that I could possibly have another strap sewn across the chest area. has anyone ever experienced this problem, and if so, has anyone ever modified their BCs accordingly?

Thanks for your help.

Finster,

I have such a QD and do not have any pb with the straps...could you be more specific? I really do not understand what you mean: is the buckle loosening? Is the shoulder of the BC slipping off your shoulder? If the former is the problem, you may just need a new belt--they do stretch and make the buckle ineffective.

I am a real fan of aftermarket modifications! So, if you want to modify your BC to "update" it, you probably can. You can find the nylon webbing and plastic buckles fairly easily. And you can do the sewing by hand or machine. The one thing you absolutely have to make certain not to do is puncture the bladder.

But a note of caution is in order here: if you do mods on life support gear, you should not "invent" something, in my opinion. Copying is okay since, presumably, the concept has been well-tested. "Inventing" can be dangerous unless you are willing to go through the proper testing.

At any rate, please try to help me understand the pb.

Joewr

OK - this is off the top of my head, so don't flame me, but for a simple and/or short term solution - how about a bungee cord tied around the two shoulder straps across the chest. This would 'replicate' an actual chest strap with buckle - be fairly easy to take on/off and should keep the shoulder straps on your shoulders.

OK. The problem is that there is no cinch strap across the chest area. There is the standard one just above the cummerbund. Because there isn't another one across the chest area-as there seem to be on most newer models-the shoulder strap is pulling down off my shoulder. I went to a local shop today and was able to find a strap and buckle assembly that will work fine. Now I need to have someone sew it on without puncturing the bladder. Hopefully this will solve the problem!

My pool BC is my old SQ QD, 5 yrs. old. The bladder does NOT extend over the shoulder so sewing a chest strap to the straps will be perfectly safe. Is there a shoe repair/saddlery place close to you? They have those heavy duty sewing machines that can sew through those materials easily.

Finster,

If you sew where there is already a seam, you should be okay. Also, be certain that the web will not start unraveling...sealing it with a hot knife will do the trick--if you are married, make sure to NOT use a knife from the silver or good stainless flatware...unless you enjoy sleeping on the living room couch.

Also, you need good, strong thread and close stitches--it is very embarrassing to have things that you make come apart on a dive! I have also presumed that you are using a quick disconnect clasp to hold the two ends together...just like the one on the small belt above the cumberbun. Right?

And that gets me to Marty's suggestion: a bungy would be okay if you were not doing boat re-entries and did not have to slip out of your BC to reboard. You, generally, do not want to hand up loose stuff to the deck crew(cameras excepted) and you would probably prefer something attached that will not get lost. Sounds like a good emergency item, though.

Joewr...hey, Finster, be sure to tell us how it works!:)

Whatever you do don't try the bungi thing. I think it's a decent idea but you might look a little dorky. Hey I heard duct tape will work on just about anything. LOL

I'm sure sowing will do the trick for you!!

NJDiver_34

For the sewing, if you can find a parachute rigger he'll automatically understand the proper thread, positioning, stitch type etc...
Rick

Also, as you're in Long Beach you can try any sailmaker, like in Sails for sailboats.

good luck don O

Hey finster,

I like the bungee idea. That way after the dive we have something to secure the tanks in the back of the truck :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom