BC popping sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryW99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While descending I heard a slight popping sound and then saw a release of a few bubbles coming friom what seemed to be behind me. I seemed to beleive I have sen this question somewhere before. Do not feel it was an o ring problem in 1st stage since I did not see a drop in pressure. Is this a problem? Going on live a board in a week and BC is about 9 months old with about 25 dives on it. Is this a probelm I need to be concerned about?

I also have a weight question. I have front intergrated weight and two back pouches for weights. If I were using an odd amount say 2 three pound and two 4 pound weights how should I disperse these? I have been putting 2 fours in the back and 2 threes in side pockets?

It sounds like it may have been the dump valve at the top of your LP inflator hose. If you pull on the inflator you can release air. I've seen many divers do this unintentionally. Also, the valve on a BCD (or any other of that type) can sometimes stick when they dry, making a one-time "pop" when they release.

As far as the weight goes, the best method is to get into a pool or lake or whatever and give it a go. Whichever holds you the most comfortably horizontal and balanced is best.

Enjoy the live aboard!

Peraldiver07 is most likely correct. Many BCDs have a cable running through the corrugated hose that connects to an overpressure valve (located at the junction of the BCD and corrugated hose). This feature allows the diver to yank on the power inflator assembly in order to dump air. Frankly, I think that this just introduces another failure point but it probably isn't worth losing any sleep over it. I'd just be aware of it...and not use it.

It's my personal feeling that scuba manufacturers install too many dump valves on their BCDs. I like having a manual-pull lower left dump valve in addition to the exhaust button on my power inflator. Anything more than that is unnecessary in my book. YMMV.

I'm with Pearldiver07 on the weight distribution. There's no substitute for simply moving the weights around while in the water. Since you're located in Dallas and the weight distribution you mentioned is likely for fresh water, please be aware that on your liveaboard vacation you will be diving in salt water...which means that you'll have to wear more lead.

...can't say I'd recommend diving that BC with it making unexplained popping sounds and leaking...unless you want to risk being a scuba lawn-dart. I'm assuming you can test the BC on dry land where you can see what's going on behind you? I have a large fiberglass wheelbarrow where I can inflate/submerge my wings and do leak checks...I won't tolerate leaks on any size whatsoever from my BC's/wings...the only time 'air' should be coming out of my BC's/wings are if I really inflate it to the max and trigger a release of gas from one of the over pressure dump valves...and that 'leak' immediately stops once the excess pressure is released ....leaks/noises are nature's way of telling you trouble is brewing...things often start out 'small' only to 'erupt' at the most inconvienient time!

...about your 'weights'....make sure you are first in line getting your pick of weights on the boat...then you can pick the exact weights you need...I've been on boats where we ran 'short' on weights and all the 'ones' were all used up by other divers...also, it's not a federal crime to dive a touch overweighted......if you need 15 lbs, that's 8 and 7....up it to 16 lbs and you'll be balanced at 8 and 8...no biggie......or examine you gear and see which side you mounted more extra gear (knives/lights/etc.)...and dive with the 'extra' 1 or 2 lbs on the opposite side from where most of your accessories are.

The BC was doing what it was supposed to. It was releasing air from the over pressure release dump. This can be manually dumped by pulling on the cord or it will burp as pressure builds up to vent so your BC does not burts. The fact that the BC was venting as you rose meant it was working as air volume was expanding in the BCD. Usually the diver vents from his corrugated inflator hose as they rise through the water. Since the back dump vented you probably needed to have done that manually yourself before the vent did it for you. That means your BC was fully inflated and that could mean you might have needed to manually vent sooner to maintain a more neutral bouyancy. It could also be a sign that you could be overweighted since your BC was fully inflated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom