BC Pocket Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padudle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I have a 1 year old Sherwood Avid BC. The bottom part of the pockets is made of an open mesh material so that water can drain out. On the right side the mesh has pulled away from the heavy BC cordura leaving a hole that items can fall through. I do use the pockets so I'd like to fix this problem.

I have tried to stitch the pocket but the mesh is very light and the cordura is very heavy. It is impossible to stitch the two together.

I am wondering if it is a better idea to use something like AquaSeal adhesive. Would AquaSeal stick to both the cordura and the mesh in a permanent fashion? Is there anything special I should do to use AquaSeal on these materials?

Thanks for your help.

I attach a picture so you can see my problem.

Attachments

• bc_pocket.jpg
    bc_pocket.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 157
Kinda funny that you say Saipan. Most don't know where that is.

I'm not from Saipan but I do have a sewing machine. Everything is sewn together on this type of BC in such a way that it is impossible to get to the seam with a machine.

I tried stitching it by hand but that is impossible too.

Take out the stitches until you can get a sewing machine in there to put it all back together. The mesh was probably sewn in with the double stitch needles, and should be put back under that piece of material.

Peter

The repair you describe is above my skill level. Perhaps I should send it somewhere to get fixed.

Is it less than a year old? What's the warranty?

I doubt you'll be able to get a home machine in there. A shoemakers sewing machine might fit in there and is often better at sewing weird/heavy stuff. Worth taking it to a shoemaker and asking, if it's not a warranty thing. If the fabric or mesh has actually split or just won't meet now for some reasons, you could use a piece of nylon trim to connect the sides, less pretty but might be stronger.

Probably a little challenging to sew by hand but I doubt it's impossible. Just need a heavy enough needle to get through the cordura and a thimble so that doesn't go through your finger. And nylon thread, nothing with cotton. If the edge of the mesh or fabric seems unstable or likely to fray, there is a product called fray check that you can get at a fabric store in a little squeeze bottle. It's waterproof and I often use it to treat edges of outdoor fabrics where a lighter won't work.

Contacting the manufacturer might lead to a satisfactory result even though it is out of warranty. Some manufacturers are better than others.

Hello,

I have a 1 year old Sherwood Avid BC. The bottom part of the pockets is made of an open mesh material so that water can drain out. On the right side the mesh has pulled away from the heavy BC cordura leaving a hole that items can fall through. I do use the pockets so I'd like to fix this problem.

I have tried to stitch the pocket but the mesh is very light and the cordura is very heavy. It is impossible to stitch the two together.

I am wondering if it is a better idea to use something like AquaSeal adhesive. Would AquaSeal stick to both the cordura and the mesh in a permanent fashion? Is there anything special I should do to use AquaSeal on these materials?

Thanks for your help.

I attach a picture so you can see my problem.

A very good repair can be done by yourself.
I understand you have a Houshold Sewing Machine. Use the Machine to fabricate a new net in the same shape and with 1/2" tripple folded over borders.
Goto a Hardware Store or Store which sells Saddles & halters and purchase a Handstiching Awl and a rol of waxed nylon Tread. \now just handsew the Netting onto its place.
This stiching with the above mentioned Nylon Thread will probably outlast your BCD. Total cost of all materials about
$ 12.**
Cheers.

A shoemakers sewing machine might fit in there and is often better at sewing weird/heavy stuff. Worth taking it to a shoemaker and asking, if it's not a warranty thing
My suggestion also. Or a tent/awning repair place. Maybe even an auto upholstery shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom