BC inflator/octo combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering a BC inflator/octo rig to streamline as I will be diving on very precious reefs in Fiji and want to eliminate possibility of any damage. I am concerned at the basic mechanics of such a set up, though. With all these important moving parts in such close proximity, wouldn't there be more possibility of a failure of one or the other. I want to keep the reef safe, but not at my own expense. I want a very dependable source of air, for very obvious reasons, but one that is streamlined would be a very good feature. Any advice, or comments?

Depends on what you like I guess. You could just get an octo and make sure it's secured. Or dive a long hose and have the other on a necklace. Or do the all in one thing. The only issue I'm not crazy about with the last one is sharing air with a buddy on accent. But who want to be in that situation anyway?

The truth of the matter is...I dislike the inflator octo combo..yet some love it...I would say use what ever works for you.

Why not avoid the inflator octo and go with a bungied octo around the neck.
It is one of the simplest and easiest and CHEAPest things you can do to keep your gear close to the body. The Oct is always secured and readily available. It will not dangle loose and crash in the coral,sand, dirt or what ever.

Configuration is really not complicated and easier than you think.

Stephen

thanks for the help. But, what do you mean by a "long hose," "necklace," and "bungied octo around the neck?" I hope I don't sound like too much of a novice for some good advice.

Contrary to what many may say (wonder if the detractors have ever tried what they claim is so bad?) there is no loss of reliability with most octo-inflator combos. I have been diving with a scubapro air 2 for over 10 years and have had no problems. I think the issue chad is tiptoeing around is the crowding issue if the primary is on a relatively short hose. I use a 6 foot hose for my primary with the air2 as my backup. was teaching an ice diving class this weekend, one of the students had a free flow, I handed off my long hose primary switched to air 2, he shut down his tank and we swam back to the hole (about 75 feet). no problems at all.

If your octapus and console are dragging furrows in the ocean bottom then you have a problem with your rig. Something is not right as that is unacceptable. A properly stowed octapus, more than one way to accomplish that, will be streamlined, easy to use and will not drag along banging on stuff. Your gear is incorrect, incorrectly matched, imcompatible with each other or incorrectly stowed--you have a problem-but the problem is not a lack of an AirII (type device).

N

It's good you're thinking about this.

There is more than one solution to anything, but with regards to the common regular octo setup - there's no reason why you can't be streamlined and not dragging stuff with this as with any other gear setup.

No biggy and don't feel like a novice....we all are always learning new things, and this board really has some good input (with the exception og anything I have to say:rofl3:)
Anyways the long hose....you'd attach a 5 to 7' hose to your primary, route it by your right hip, up and around your neck. The secondary you'd have on a normal size hose and have it attached to a neckless under your chin. So if someone runs out, give them your primary, and switch to your second.

Right on, thanks for the help. I'm stil not really getting this, though. Your octo would be attached to a neckless (necklace?) hanging around your neck, and your primary would be wrapped around your neck also, as in like a noose? Or would the primary be come up from your hip, around the back of your neck and around your left side, in which case you would need a upside-downable second stage? Definitely no offense to you guys, but If I showed up doing what I have a picture of in my head, I might look kind of foolish.:no I think I get the concept, but a few details are still uncertain.

Back
Top Bottom