Bc garden hose attachment okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to assume that you don't want to use this method if you have a combination octo/inflator, like an Air 2, as this is going to blow water back into the regulator?

I'm going to assume that you don't want to use this method if you have a combination octo/inflator, like an Air 2, as this is going to blow water back into the regulator?

And WHY would that be a problem?

The QD's on combo octo inflators is different from the QD's on most inflators / drysuit inlets.

Tobin

And WHY would that be a problem?

My understanding was that since a device like an Air 2 is actually a regulator, and not an inflator, and that the potential for water contamination was much more critical.

For example, I was taught that you could rinse an inflator, while your were rinsing your BCD, by activating the power inflation button and having an air/water mixture blow back through the quick disconnect fitting. I want to remember I was told not to do that with my octo/inflator due to the potential of getting water inside the regulator.

Am I wrong?

My understanding was that since a device like an Air 2 is actually a regulator, and not an inflator, and that the potential for water contamination was much more critical.

For example, I was taught that you could rinse an inflator, while your were rinsing your BCD, by activating the power inflation button and having an air/water mixture blow back through the quick disconnect fitting. I want to remember I was told not to do that with my octo/inflator due to the potential of getting water inside the regulator.

Am I wrong?

Water contamination in a 1st stage or SPG can be a problem, but most of a 2nd stage is routinely exposed to the diving environment water in normal use. The small areas that are normally dry will not be harmed by clean, fresh water. Just make sure they are dried out before the rig is reassembled and stored to prevent water from migrating into the 1st stage. An octo/inflator is no different than a standard inflator in this case. Just shake or blow any water out of the inlet and let it dry before storage.

Water contamination in a 1st stage or SPG can be a problem, but most of a 2nd stage is routinely exposed to the diving environment water in normal use. The small areas that are normally dry will not be harmed by clean, fresh water. Just make sure they are dried out before the rig is reassembled and stored to prevent water from migrating into the 1st stage. An octo/inflator is no different than a standard inflator in this case. Just shake or blow any water out of the inlet and let it dry before storage.

We aren't communicating, I am sure it is my fault.

I'll maintain my current protocols.

Am I wrong?

Yes you are. I've used an AIR 2 for maybe 15 yrs now.. I make a good effort to run water through it. First I drain the saltwater from the BC, then I put some freshwater into the Bc, roll it around for 3 seconds and then drain it through the deflate AND inflate button. I want freshwater running over all the components in the inflator/regulator.

Saltwater is going to get into the reg/inflator. It is better to wash it out with clean water than pretend like it is pristine and will always be dry and not salty.

Yes you are. I've used an AIR 2 for maybe 15 yrs now.. I make a good effort to run water through it. First I drain the saltwater from the BC, then I put some freshwater into the Bc, roll it around for 3 seconds and then drain it through the deflate AND inflate button. I want freshwater running over all the components in the inflator/regulator.

Saltwater is going to get into the reg/inflator. It is better to wash it out with clean water than pretend like it is pristine and will always be dry and not salty.

Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom