Bc garden hose attachment okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you expand on "training problem "?

Very few divers are trained on how to adequately care for their BCD and accessories.

It really is not difficult to run FW through the inflator to clean both the inflator and the BC bladder and other valves. It does take a bit of time and a few repetitions, but it is quite easy. I would hate to think this might be because service providers are more interested in profiting from repairs and "annual service" than in teaching customers to DIY.

It does take a bit of time and a few repetitions, but it is quite easy.

and is even "easier" with a fairly simple tool..... you are mostly "spot on" with your pov/comments on the board, but I'm not seeing the reason for negativity you are projecting on this one....

and is even "easier" with a fairly simple tool..... you are mostly "spot on" with your pov/comments on the board, but I'm not seeing the reason for negativity you are projecting on this one....

I agree, it works just fine. Like I said, I have a couple of them, somewhere. I'll bet they might be with my magnehelic and my inline adjustment tool; wherever they might be.

Too much stuff is my problem. It is similar to the reason spit is my favorite defog.

I agree, it works just fine. Like I said, I have a couple of them, somewhere. I'll bet they might be with my magnehelic and my inline adjustment tool; wherever they might be.

Too much stuff is my problem. It is similar to the reason spit is my favorite defog.

Combined with a middle aged mind and it gets to be problematic. I'm right there with ya. :)

Tobin

I used to have one. Someone gave it to me, but I lost it before the 1st use. I just run water in from oral inflator by holding the inflator buttom, then run half the water out from OPV by pulling the string, half out the way in. Repeat maybe 3 or 4 times and done. But I don't see how a garden hose can damage the inflator tho

I used to have one. Someone gave it to me, but I lost it before the 1st use. I just run water in from oral inflator by holding the inflator buttom, then run half the water out from OPV by pulling the string, half out the way in. Repeat maybe 3 or 4 times and done. But I don't see how a garden hose can damage the inflator tho

The advantage of the valve flushers like this https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301 is in actually flushing the salt from the internals of the power inflator "add" valve.

It this valve sticks you have a self inflating BC.

The internal passageways of the add valves are quite small. It's not practical to use them to introduce enough water to rinse the inside of the wing. Garden hose through the oral inflate mouthpiece remains the easiest way to rinse the inside of the bladder.

Tobin

Tobin, how about first fill bladder with water, then hold the inflator button, wing upside down, and let water come out from the shredder value. It is quite slow, but is it enough to run the salt residual away?

Tobin, how about first fill bladder with water, then hold the inflator button, wing upside down, and let water come out from the shredder value. It is quite slow, but is it enough to run the salt residual away?

I prefer to rinse with fresh water, not the discharge from the bladder.

The valve flusher also can be use to flush many dry suit valves.

Many inflators do not use a schrader valve, they use a nickle plated brass cartridge valve with orings.

Tobin

The Schrader valve is in the hose that connects to your regulator, and it is not exposed to water in this case.

There are three types of water flushing tools that you can use. The first is that Zeagle valve they tried to sell you, which unscrews from the hose and thus, only flushes water into your bladder and not through the valve.
The second is that home built (they are commercially available too, but it’s still just parts put together) piece that has a normal inflator hose attached to a garden hose…that schrader valve might rust but who cares, you could remove it if you wanted to.
The third type is made by DSS and it’s simple, just one piece molded rubber material, that latches on rather well. I love mine, even if I do misplace it sometimes.

The second and third types I mentioned allow you to run water through the valve, flushing it as well as the bladder.

You don’t need them, but they can be handy, and they don’t harm a thing. The Zeagle one would allow you to hook up a hose and walk away while it filled until the OPV opens, while the other kinds you’d have to hold the valve open with something while it flushes, or just sit there. But, if you use the other kinds, you can easily pop back on your air hose and blow the wing up without huffing and puffing into it. With any of the three options, invest in a quick disconnect for the end of your hose so you can just pop it on without having to screw the tool into place. Then you can pop it back off and put on a sprayer to rinse the outside of your gear.

But all of those are equipment solutions to lifestyle problems. If you had the proper lifestyle, your gear will never dry out enough to form salt crystals. If you need any of these tools, including a hose or cup of freshwater, it is clear that you are not diving often enough.

Back
Top Bottom