BC for DIR question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep_6

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, can the Dive Rite Transpac II or OMS IQ harness be considered DIR compliant gear?

Or for gear to be DIR compliant one has to have a stainless steel backplate thereby using the Dive Rite Transplate harness or the OMS bp with harness.

This is just out of curiosity. Thank you!

deep_6:
Hi, can the Dive Rite Transpac II or OMS IQ harness be considered DIR compliant gear?
No - DIR requires the harness to be a single piece of webbing - no buckles except at the waist.
deep_6:
Or for gear to be DIR compliant one has to have a stainless steel backplate thereby using the Dive Rite Transplate harness or the OMS bp with harness.
Any SS or Aluminum backplate will do, as long as it has the requisite single piece of webbing harness.

Thanks Snowbear! I'm assuming that you dive DIR or have DIR gear. I'm just finding it hard to imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have a stainless or aluminum backplate on your back.

OMS has a bp pad. Dive Rite has none. How would you rectify the issue of comfort when wearing that bp.

deep_6:
Thanks Snowbear! I'm assuming that you dive DIR or have DIR gear. I'm just finding it hard to imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have a stainless or aluminum backplate on your back.

OMS has a bp pad. Dive Rite has none. How would you rectify the issue of comfort when wearing that bp.
Yeah - I wear the gear (not many H's on any of it, though), practice the skills, have taken DIRf and will take Tech1 shortly, but truth be told - I don't always follow all the DIR rules :wink:

The backplate is quite comfortable, actually. I found it is more stable and distributes the weight of the rig more comfortably than a BC with a padding. Your exposure protection offers a layer of padding as well. Another advantage for me was less weight on the weightbelt, since that makes my messed up back more sore.

Is there any way you can try a BP before you buy one? You can take my word for it if you want, but the best way for you to rectify your comfort concerns is to try it for yourself...

deep_6:

This is just out of curiosity. Thank you!

The TransPlate harness is not DIR compliant, since it has quick-release buckles on the shoulder straps. You can, however, get a DIR-compliant harness from Dive-Rite.

If you are going with Dive-Rite gear and want to be DIR compliant, please be aware that their Rec and Trek wings are also not DIR compliant due to the bungee that runs thru gussets to pull the wing in when it's not inflated. You can easily remove this bungee, but my recommendation would be to look at a different wing. The Dive-Rite Venture wing would be DIR compliant ... but it's only got 30-lb lift. If that's sufficient, then it's a sweet wing for singles. I wish Dive-Rite made this wing in a 40-lb version.

I own a TransPlate system. Originally I had a Rec wing, but recently switched to the Oxycheq 45 lb wing. I think the Oxycheq wing is superior for diving singles, due to it's shape and footprint. My only knock on it is that the inflator hose is a bit on the short side. That's not really a big deal, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Regarding comfort, I have found my backplate to be far more comfortable and stable than any soft BCD I have owned. I currently own a TransPac II that I use for my pool rig. I've also owned ScubaPro and Tusa rigs that I was quite happy with ... but in all honesty they do not hold my cylinder to my body with the stability of a backplate system.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can buy backplate & wings and add Halcyons backplate pack. You can store the lift bag there, and it serves as extra padding (expecially if you are diving in a thinner wet suit).

I find that I really do not need it for padding when diving dry though, it is very comfortable as it is. I will however buy one anyway since it is a good place to store the lift bag.

Anders

You can add a backpad to the OMS backplate as well and the resulting "tunnel" in the backplate does make a nice place to store a suitable liftbag. It is super streamlined and if you clip the end of the bag to the d-ring on the back side of the crotch strap along with your reel, it won't be going anywhere without your consent.

That said, I agree that a backpad adds very little comfort as long as you are already wearing a wet or dry suit. I do like neoprene shoulder pads over the straps as they take some of the bite out of the webbing.

To Bob, Anders, and DA Aquamaster thanks for your posts. They helped me understand the bp/wing setup more. I'm not DIR but find some of their practices to be very interesting and would like to apply them to my diving. Again thank you.

globaldiver:
You can buy backplate & wings and add Halcyons backplate pack. You can store the lift bag there, and it serves as extra padding (expecially if you are diving in a thinner wet suit).

I find that I really do not need it for padding when diving dry though, it is very comfortable as it is. I will however buy one anyway since it is a good place to store the lift bag.

Anders

Globaldiver, if you store the lift bag in the backplate pack of the Halcyon, how do you ensure that it won't fall off during a dive?

Have your lift bag clipped off to your rear crotch strap d-ring, then push it up into the storage pack. The bag is then sandwiched between your back and the plate and will not go anywhere. To get at it during the dive, simply reach to your rear d-ring and pull it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom