BC doesn't have enough lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever run into a situation where an XS bc doesn't have enough lift to float a diver using and AL80 tank wearing a 3mm wetsuit and no weights? I haven't seen the actuality of it but hoping to this weekend.

I just haven't run into a situation before that a bc will not float a diver with no weight, in a wetsuit, using an AL80. I was wondering if anyone else had run into this before and any suggestions for being able to help, short of buying a new bc, which may be the only solution.

I think you are going to have to add a fair amount of lead before that even becomes physically possible. XS BC should be 20 to 30 lb positive. A small 3mm wetsuit should be 4 to 5 lb positive at the surface. The full tank should be no more than 5 lb negative. Give the reg about 1 lb negative. So what's left (the diver) would have to be 18 to 29 lbs negative. Can't imagine that much bone!!!

unless you ate 25+ 1/4 pounders before you dive, I really cant see this possibly happening. But if anyone knows better, I'd sure like to hear how this is possible

The only way I could see it happening is if the bladder was full of water.

Lead_carrier:
Has anyone ever run into a situation where an XS bc doesn't have enough lift to float a diver using and AL80 tank wearing a 3mm wetsuit and no weights? I haven't seen the actuality of it but hoping to this weekend.
Since a properly weighted diver on the surface would only be heavy by the amount of gas in his tank(s), I don't think you can get there from here.

I'm sure there are folks who are negative in a 3mm, but I'm having trouble with the idea of too much for a BC to handle.

Now a diver in a 7mm with double tanks on the bottom would be a different story.

what others said. if that BC is in good shape, i don't see how it could fail to lift a diver on a 3mm and an AL80 with no weights.

in fact, good luck getting below the surface with that setup. i don't think it's gonna happen.

Lead_carrier:

That last sentence was a bit strange....

So is the situation. I was just in the pool today with a 2 mil shorty. With no other gear on I needed 8 pounds of lead to get neutral. So, if an AL80 and all gear is even 5 lbs. negative *I* would still need lead to get neutral, let alone negative and I still wouldn't have any air in my BC.
Acording to Dive Rite, the Luxfer AL80 is -1.4lbs when full.

Something is really off in what you are saying...

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom