BC annual service? Opinions please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverKKC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just curious of the frequency other divers tend to have their BC's inspected and serviced? I have a ScubaPro KnightHawk BC (which I love) and have owned it for about 1 1/2 years with about 30 dives (salt and fresh) done with it. Before a dive trip, I always do a couple of local dives to test all my gear. Do others really have their BC's tested according to manufacturer's recommedations (every 12 months, I believe), or do some settle for every few years? No one wants a dump valve free flow or similar, but wouldn't caring for the BC well, rinsing very well and storing appropriately, then having it completely broken down and inspected every 2-3 be sufficient?

I'm just curious what other divers here do, and appreciate any feedback. Happy diving.

Kevin

I think testing before each dive, then careful washing, inside and out, running water through the dump valves and oral inflator, then proper strorage (stored partially inflated) goes a LONG way in preventing problems. Personally, that's all I do.

In my case, my old BC and current BP/wing used "standard" dump valves and inflators, so if a problem begins to develop I'll just swap out the defective part for a new one myself.

My approach is exactly the same as Leadturn SD's. Routine, periodic servicing of a BC is rather a strange concept; perhaps it is the high profit industry of the future.:D

Most problems I've seen with BCs have been bubbles where bubbles don't belong (a leaking seam, a poorly-sealing dump valve, et cetera). In all but a very few cases, the diver with the problem never even noticed. If you and your buddy pay attention to your gear (eg. a bubble check), you should notice problems early in their development.

Keep things clean, keep things dry (when not in use :D), and check that nothing's broken, cracked, or coming loose. That should prevent most problems.

Of course, if something happens that you didn't catch, it should certainly not be life-threatening or anything. If your inflator sticks, pop it off or dump, dump, dump while you make your way to the exit. If your BC breaks and can't hold air for some reason, swim back to the exit. If you're way too weighted to do that, drop your weights, make your exit, and add weighting (or backup buoyancy, where appropriate) to the list of things that may need work. :)

Now, if you're not perfectly (and justifiably) confident that you *could* handle a small problem with your BC, it hurts no one to let someone give it a good check, but for your own safety and well-being, learning and practice ought to be in your thoughts. A brand-new or just-tested BC is not immune to a few grains of sand getting into the inflator and causing some free flowing (or a dump valve getting snagged or snapped or crunched somehow or other). Being able to handle things like that is all part of being a diver -- after all, nothing's perfect except your next dive.

thanks, folks. It seemed a little unnecessary for a well-maintained bc. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Very much appreciated :wink:

I think you're on the right track.

Proper rinsing, both inside and out. Store on a hanger partcially inflated. Have your budy check for leaks once and a while. Change the inflator if you notice it sticking.

PH

I think you're on the right track.

Proper rinsing, both inside and out. Store on a hanger partcially inflated. Have your budy check for leaks once and a while. Change the inflator if you notice it sticking.

PH

What he said, and give both the add and dump a test on the surface prior to going down. If there is an issue, this way you find out before you need it. BC's are simple enough, but also quite important to your dive. A quick test can avoid potential issues.

Mat.

The inflator is vulnerable to salt and corrosion damage as there are chambers that can hold salt water. Rinse it well, including running water through the inflator while operating buttons. DSS makes an attachment to make this rinsing a bit easier. If it is kept clean so the seals stay in good shape, it may never need a payed service.

The only thing I have had serviced on either of my BC's is the inflator. I had this done because it was bubbling, and obviously needed service. Other than that, I just rinse well, and store partially inflated.

If the valves start to get sticky, or worst, stuck, I will replace them. That is not difficult to do, nor is it expensive, but I've never had to do so. My BC's are both maybe 4~6 years old. Each like has maybe 125 dives on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom