BC and equipment Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some specifics as to why Cressi BC's suk would be genuinely appreciated. A friend is about to order an aqualight.

bgi:
Some specifics as to why Cressi BC's suk would be genuinely appreciated. A friend is about to order an aqualight.

I personaly do not think Cressi BC's "suk", and from posts I have read it seems a majority likes them. They are decent BC's. However, in comparison I find them bulkier and less comfortable to other brands I have tried. Also once had a buddy who had a new Cressi and we had troubles adjusting the twin cam bands to securely hold the tank, most likely because they were not broken in enough, too stiff to cinch down completely. Relatively minor issues.

Well, i don't know alot about the BC's but when a Cressi dealer tell me not to buy them i have to wonder, The negatives were: different inflater hose size (not readily available), Substandard blatter (cressi does have a recall), lack of replacement parts (compared to zeagle), and the coating on the demin and durability.

Also, I can't realy say i don't like a back inflate, While in class i've used both and the vest seems more comfortable (but thats in class) also i have little body fat and with a steel tank i need no weight. The back inflate Does tip me forward. But i do realize i don't plan on spending my time on the surface. The next Q' is will a back inflate be good for taking photos easily? Thanks

sqrlnut:
We, ( me soon to be wife and I) are wondering what gear to buy. IE computer, BC, regs, exc. I checked other posts and do agree that the LDS does try to push thier stock, but why wouldn't they if they feel it's the best. With that said, i was looking a zeagle but don't like (know enough about) back inflates. I was also looking at a cressi but a dealer cressi dealer) told me they suk. What is recommended for PA quary diving? as far as a computer goes i was looking at an Atmos 2 but i'm open to suggestions, Thanks

Unless you and your wife are fast tracking it to some intensive diving I'd hold off on the computer. As a new diver you're blitzed with sorting out what you want. this is an item you probably don't need to deal with for a while.

A simple water proof watch, depth gauge and tables may be all you probably need for a while. The computer will be more helpful when you air consumpotion drops and you start approaching NDLs.

I'd spring for a second set of cylinders or something that will let you get more bottom time at your convenience.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Kupu:
I personaly do not think Cressi BC's "suk", and from posts I have read it seems a majority likes them. They are decent BC's. However, in comparison I find them bulkier and less comfortable to other brands I have tried. Also once had a buddy who had a new Cressi and we had troubles adjusting the twin cam bands to securely hold the tank, most likely because they were not broken in enough, too stiff to cinch down completely. Relatively minor issues.

I've read some positive feedback here on them. This thread had the only negatives I had read. My instructor doesn't sell them, but she uses one, so that says something? I believe the only substantial issue with the aqualight is that the weight release can be more difficult than normal to find due to it's location. I had a similar cam issue with my wife's dacor elite. The band was in the cam and well-creased. Tightening it up a bit was darn near impossible because it wanted to stay right where it was creased.

Thanks.

Spectrum is right about not jumping into buying stuff you don't need right away. For a BCD I would just dive each style and maybe a couple of each brand a few times before buying. You are going to have this BC for many years so you should be happy with what you get. As far a photography goes any style will work if you dive it properly. I've used jackets, back inflate, and now use a bp/wing but they all work.
I do recomend you NOT try the photography thing untill you have some experience in the water. It can be very distracting making you less attentative to your and your buddy's situation.
Good luck and take you time.

A lot of good insight and experience is always welcome, so thanks.
Personally, i like the look of a vest, and the Cressi. I know i need to do research and talk to other LDS's. I usually pick thing up rather quickly and advance well. I love jumping into things feel first and not looking back. With that said, i WILL make dives with all types and styles of equipment to see what suits me.
On the points of photography, i plan on starting out in shallow waters, I don't think I’ll have an issue, i am a very attentive person, and I do plan on putting My gauges, air, buddy, and safety first. I think I’ll be fine with the whole camera thing; i have the neutrally buoyant thing down pretty good so that is one less concern I’ll have. I also plan on making sure I am comfortable with diving BEFORE I thy photography, but I always look towards the future and where I plan on going within a chosen sport.

Never had the back inflate face plant problem...so I guess my comment would be: A properly trimmed back inflate won't plant you on your face."

One reason that I went with the back inflate is because there is no squeeze as in some jackets. Also easier to trim out and be horizontal.
Zeagle is a excellent company to deal with. One of the main reason that I bought Zeagle was because of their modular system. If you gain weight the BC will grow with you by changing out the cummberbun, not the entire BC like most. If you decide to go with a BP/W later on you can use the bladder from the Zeagle BC.

I have a couple of DB's that have Cressi BC's and they will tell you that they are OK. Of course this is coming from guys that dive 5 times a year. One thing that I didn't like about them is the bulk as well as the cover material that they use on part of the BC.

A great deal on a computer is the Aeris Atmos 1. Since this model is being discontinued they are selling at around $100. Can't even get a bottom timer for that.
Take your time before you buy. Just when you think you know for sure what you want, think about it some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom