Bay area in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen1300

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looks like I will be in SF Bay Area in November - Thanksgiving. While I grew up there, I have no clue about diving options.

I just completed my OW cert and am planning on about 10 dives before then, plus a peak performance buoyancy class.

Without risking the potential of overextending my abilities, what options are there and what gear requirements should I expect with regards to exposure protection?

I'm not opposed to going as far south as Carmel or north either.

I should clarify that all my dives will likely be lake/quarry dives.

Oh, if the weather permits it, DO go down to Monterey! See if you can find someone with whom to dive Pt. Lobos. The diving there is extremely beautiful, and if you haven't had the opportunity to dive in kelp, you'll be fascinated. The light through the kelp strands is gorgeous, and they harbor an amazing amount of life.

Chuck is right -- for someone unaccustomed to shore entries and surge, it can be challenging. And that time of year, the weather is chancy. But if things line up well for you, you'll have an incredible time.

Sea state-wise, Northern California is very unpredictable that time of year. It can be the best or the worst, separated by a few days. I remember a December 15th where we could clearly see the boat from 140' in Carmel Bay and watch an octopus in an old can at the bottom of Monterey harbor while standing on Rappa's pier. I would plan on extreme flexibility since there are a lot more bad than good days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom