Bay Area Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montery might be a little far for me to go. I'm staying with a non-diving friend, and I was thinking more along the lines of somthing to do during the day while she is at work. I'll only be out there for 6 days in the end of May.

If I do decide to make the trip down there I'll get in tough with you guys. What's the water temp like? Would I need to bring my drysuit, or is it warm enough for a 7mm?

There are quite a few of us who live in the bay area and trek down to Monterey quite often. Depending on where you're staying, I'm game for even picking you up and dropping you off after diving. 6 days is plenty of time to get in at least a couple of dives.

Bring your drysuit. Water temps are frequently in the mid to high 40's. I can attest to those temps, as I dive pretty much every weekend and quite frequently off of boats at depths greater than 100 ft. In those conditions, it's 46ish right now.

I'm staying in Marin. I think my friend lives in San Rafael. For some reason I thought Montery was close to three hours drive. I've never been there, but I used to live in Berkely and I would pass through on the way to Big Sur. It always seemed like you were almost there when you got to Montery, so I kind of thought it was just as far. I guess not.hh

If you can do a day trip and be back in the bay by 5ish, I'm definately going to have to check it out. I look foreward to meeting some of you guys.

Depending on how you drive, Marin is probably 2 hours without traffic. IMO that's still well worth making at least a few day trips out to Monterey. Another option, as mentioned above, is the north coast.

I'm not familar with the north coast.

To tell you the truth, neither am I, really. But generally, it's about an hour and a half north, pretty much the opposite direction as Monterey, and closer if you're in Marin.

I know it's big for abalone (free)divers, and there's an active dive community in the area as well.

jenner, ca - Google Maps

As I wrote in a story a while back:

This had become one of those spectacular central coast days, blue sky, bright sun and 60-foot plus visibility. On a day like this Blue Fin Cove is perhaps the most spectacular dive site in the world. Let the tourists have Palancar Reef, the wall on Cayman Brac, Rosh Muhammad and Heron Island, all the frantic motion and frenetic neon of the underwater Times Squares. Give me the kelp forest. Subtle deep greens broken by shafts of light that look like a Sunday school painting. That's for me.

Welcome Jeff,

Some classify north of Carmel as northern. But in this instance I think they mean north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

My brother and I went to Berkeley; our parents as well. My brother lives in San Rafael and teaches in Marin during the week. Diving in Sonoma is less than an hour while Monterey/Carmel is about 2.5hr. Average water temp 48-52F, warmer in winter. I have seen it as low as 46, some say less at depth. If interested click on my name to see what I use.

North Coast Divers - Index

This group dives the Sonoma/Mendocino area as well as Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur.

I am mainly diving Carmel/ Big Sur and Sonoma/Mendocino. I use to SCUBA dive Monterey a lot 15 years ago. I'll dive North Monterey Bay Santa Cruz soon when the anchovies come near to shore.

I am a member of the North Coast Divers club. If you are interested in diving the north coast (north of San Fransisco) Let me know I am always up for a dive Friday through Sunday is best. PM me if you are interested.

Monterey is world class diving, I have dove many places in the world and Monterey is still my favorite. It is cold water, but I like cold..I have always dove year round in a wetsuit, which i prefer over the drysuit however now that I'm older I may have to breakdown and get a dry for the colder weather..

The poor vis in the water is what makes the diving so good..the sea life thrives here on the nutrients (poor vis) in the water...you may consider hiring a DM to take you on a shore dive or go out on one of the dive boats.

Re: North Coast. North of Jenner on the coast there are a number of south-facing coves that are relatively protected from the NW swell. Some have easy access for scuba divers. The southern most of these sites is probably a little over an hour and a half drive from San Rafael.

The marine ecology is a little different than that of Monterey, there is more bull kelp, more urchins, and no otters. Easiest good shore diving on the N coast is at either Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park or Ft Ross east cove.

Do check out Welcome to northcoastdivers.org!

Back
Top Bottom