Bay Area Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any worthwhile diving in the Bay area?

I'll be heading out to the Bay next month to visit a friend and I was wondering if it's worth bringing my gear. Also wondering if anyone in that area wants to join me for a dive or two.

Is there any worthwhile diving in the Bay area?

I'll be heading out to the Bay next month to visit a friend and I was wondering if it's worth bringing my gear. Also wondering if anyone in that area wants to join me for a dive or two.

Monterey/Carmel is where most of the action is (about 100 miles south of SF).

Look at some of the pictures in my signature and see for yourself.

I'd love to round up the crew and join you for a few dives.

Let us know when you're coming.

Montery might be a little far for me to go. I'm staying with a non-diving friend, and I was thinking more along the lines of somthing to do during the day while she is at work. I'll only be out there for 6 days in the end of May.

If I do decide to make the trip down there I'll get in tough with you guys. What's the water temp like? Would I need to bring my drysuit, or is it warm enough for a 7mm?

The water is 46 degrees now and will rise in temperature a little over the next month. Still drysuit all the way.

The Monterey area is absolutely spectacular. Tons of life and color. Do hook up with some of the local divers and get a tour to remember :)

I dont know about 46... ive been diving every weekend: http://brandonbianchi.com and at least at my depths I have yet to drop below 51.

I wear a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm hooded vest so I have 14mm at the core and ive only gotten cold once. I blame the cold wind on the SI for it though :wink:.

I work in San Jose and live in Monterey, off commute hours you can make the drive in 50 minutes w/out having to push it.

If you're shore-diving recreationally, which is what I do, I agree with bbianchi in that I've never seen bottom temps drop below 49 (in my limited experience). The guys going on boats or past 70ft will probably see different.

I think it's worth packing the drysuit unless you're used to cold-water diving in a wetsuit.

Also, many of us do day-trips to Monterey all the time. Leave 6:30-7am, do two dives, lunch, back at 3-5pm.

If you're diving a weekday, check out Point Lobos. The rest of us working stiffs have to fight for reservations two weeks in advance, but you can just show up in the morning on most any weekday with your cert card and a dive buddy and enjoy some of the best diving around. Point Lobos State Reserve - Scuba

On the North Coast last weekend it was 45 degrees and the weekend before it was 46.

On the North Coast last weekend it was 45 degrees and the weekend before it was 46.

I'm gonna be there this weekend. Actually kinda looking forward to how the DS undergarments perform in the sub-50s!

Back
Top Bottom