Bauer Utilus compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
There is a compressor on Ebay that is w/i an hr of me. Its listed as a 5hp utilus gas engine can any one tell me what I need to check if I go inspect the compressor before
bidding? I some mechinal skills can break and fix jeeps guns etc.

Would it need to be serviced and cleaned or would clean filter stacks take care of any contamates? I would need to pump O2 compatable air?

Whats this compressor worth from those of you with experance?

With a gas compressor how many 80cf fills should you get from a tank of fuel?

here is the link

scuba paintball breathing compressor 5000psi - eBay (item 290266732012 end time Oct-19-08 17:26:38 PDT)

Thanks

The Utilus was the smallest of the Bauer line of three stage "continuous" duty machines. They stopped producing them when the new generation of Capitano and Mariner machines was introduced.

My first suggestion would be to make sure the unit will rotate freely. If it does, check the oil level and oil itself. If the oil is filthy or discolored, that could indicate problems. If it looks good, run the machine to see if it builds pressure. Even if the first or second stage safeties lift, as long as the machine runs you are probably in good shape. Most of the valve parts are still in production as they are used in current machines.

I couldn't answer regarding the fuel use to fill ratio. Just not something that would concern me. I doubt that Bauer has any data on it either. Determining worth depends on condition. If it is in perfect operating condition, I would value it between $2K and $3K.

Craig

If it is a true Utilus it is the same block as the Capitano and a Mariner but a smaller first stage head and lower output (around 3.5cfm). I ended up getting a good deal on a mariner and sold a Utilus I had purchased for $1400 but never ended up using. I don't think you will find one that cheap. It is a great compressor, you can still get parts for it, but this guy is asking way to much IMHO.

Dave

Yes to the above, $2500 would be a reasonable "EBay" price. Why shop on the web and pay top dollar? To answer the other, it depends on the condition and state of tune of the engine. The older B/S has an enrichment needle. One should expect 4 aluminum cylinders per tank, maybe 5 if the cylinders are not completely empty.

Back
Top Bottom