Bauer Purus question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting into the home fill station and found what is supposedly a Bauer Purus. I found three others online that state they pump 2.7 CFM using a 3HP motor. The one that I am looking at, the guys says that it pumps 4.5CFM @ 3,000rmp with a 5HP motor. I have questioned him about this and he assures me that it is a Purus.
Did Bauer make a Purus that pumped 4.5? Personally I think it is a Mariner or Capitano.
Another other comments would be appreciated.

No pictures as of yet but I am suppose to get them tomorrow.

I have a 1978 Mako Purus (rebranded Bauer in a crash frame, the owners manual is even Bauer just with a Mako cover) it states the compressor is rated at 3.4 cfm (gas or 230 V electric) , earlier models were aparently rated at 2.7 cfm, I have not heard of a varient that pumped 4.5 cfm. The earlier units had some obvious visual differences in the interstage plumbing as well as a metal (vs. fiberglass) fan shroud. I think the Purus was discontinued around 1984-86 so there may have been time for another speed bump after mine was built.

Ike

Does the RPM even sound reasonable? 3,000 sounded a bit faster for the compressor, maybe not the motor itself.

BTW, I am talking electric and not gas.

There was a machine called the Utilus (not to be confused with the Utilus 10) that fits that out put capacity. I know of no Bauer compressor blocks that are designed to turn at 3000 rpm. Just because a machine has a 5 hp motor, doesn't necessarily mean that it requires one. I can run a Mariner II on 5 hp, but it will not be able to turn at optimum speed or give optimum out put. A 3 hp electric motor was standard for the Utilus.

Most of the blocks of that day, Utilus, Capitano and Mariner were designed to turn around 1300 rpm. The newer version of the Purus was a compact portable which could be run on a 2 hp electric motor (Purus) at 1800 rpm or with a 3 hp electric motor (U-10) at 2100 rpm.

Craig

I just went and checked the dataplate on my Purus, I was wrong on my CFM specification, it is rated at 3.2 CFM at 3200 psi and 2000 RPM. According to my owners manual dated 8-1978 the electric motor varients used 2.5-3 HP depending on if they were 3E or 3W models (this may be 1 vs 3 phase as no phase was mentioned, but both listed 220V, I am currently powering mine with a Honda GC-135 4 HP gas engine which I consider marginal as it starts to sound strained as tank fills approach 3000 psi. It should also be noted that there was also a Purus-H model produced that was rated to 4500 psi.

Ike

I just went and checked the dataplate on my Purus, I was wrong on my CFM specification, it is rated at 3.2 CFM at 3200 psi and 2000 RPM. According to my owners manual dated 8-1978 the electric motor varients used 2.5-3 HP depending on if they were 3E or 3W models (this may be 1 vs 3 phase as no phase was mentioned, but both listed 220V, I am currently powering mine with a Honda GC-135 4 HP gas engine which I consider marginal as it starts to sound strained as tank fills approach 3000 psi. It should also be noted that there was also a Purus-H model produced that was rated to 4500 psi.

Ike

He might be talking about the H series since he did say that it would pump to 4500psi.
This would also tend to be more believable with everything else. Bigger motor at what seems to be somewhat normal of RPM's.

I was hoping to get pics today but as usual, nothing.

OK the mystery has been solved. The Purus isn't a Purus after all but rather a Utilus.
Below are pics. The first two are of the 4.5 CFM with the 5HP motor. The next two are the 2.7 CFM which I'm not really interested in.

Attachments

• Util6.jpg
    Util6.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 728
  • Util5.jpg
    Util5.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 777
  • util4.jpg
    util4.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 545
  • Util2.jpg
    Util2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,132
Those are the units I mentioned in my previous post. The only differences between the Purus and U-10 are the motor, pulley and belt size. The blocks, filtration and frame are the same. I also don't think that either unit has a 5 hp motor. The motor with the twin capacitor covers looks like a Marathon 2 hp and the other one is a Leeson, probably 3 hp. Since they both have removable motor hinge plates, the seller should be able to remove the motor and take a picture of the motor name plate.

After looking at that black Leeson motor (it's been a while), their normal color is blue, it might be one of those single phase, 3 hp, 115v units. Those weren't normal Leeson stock and when I used to buy them, I had to order 25 pieces for them to do a production run.

Craig

crpntr, if you order one of these make sure that the filter canister includes the installed cap.
Pesky

I noticed that the one doesn't have the cap but that would be the smaller one that I don't want.

For some reason I figure that everything that he has told me is way out in left field. So far nothing is what he told me. I really hate to ask the price, or maybe not, since I'm sure it changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom