Bauer Junior II issue help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdem5658

New
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello, all.

Wondering if any Bauer guru's in here can lend me a direction to look.
I have a 2013 Junior 2 with the 1 phase 3hp Electric motor.

Was sitting in storage for a while. Low Low usage before. I pulled it out, changed the oil and put a new triplex filter.
The bauer runs as almost a surge. higher rev to low rev. consistently. After about 30 seconds or so. the thermal switch trips on the motor and it cuts out. close to the cutout mark, it'll run steady for maybe 5 seconds (slower than full sped) before slowing down and cutting off.

I am getting pressure to the all 3 of the condensate drains, but no outlet pressure at the charging hose.
I have tried v belt tensions to fully tight to pretty loose. I am not seeing fraying or smelling burning from the hose.

If I run just the motor, no v belt, it runs and runs. If i run the motor with the v belt and condensate drain 1 open, still the same issue.

I'm pretty much at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have an electric meter that can measure amps?

Hello, all.

Wondering if any Bauer guru's in here can lend me a direction to look.
I have a 2013 Junior 2 with the 1 phase 3hp Electric motor.

Was sitting in storage for a while. Low Low usage before. I pulled it out, changed the oil and put a new triplex filter.
The bauer runs as almost a surge. higher rev to low rev. consistently. After about 30 seconds or so. the thermal switch trips on the motor and it cuts out. close to the cutout mark, it'll run steady for maybe 5 seconds (slower than full sped) before slowing down and cutting off.

I am getting pressure to the all 3 of the condensate drains, but no outlet pressure at the charging hose.
I have tried v belt tensions to fully tight to pretty loose. I am not seeing fraying or smelling burning from the hose.

If I run just the motor, no v belt, it runs and runs. If i run the motor with the v belt and condensate drain 1 open, still the same issue.

I'm pretty much at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds like you have a stuck PMV (pressure Maintaince Valve) or somthing lodged in it. have you attempted to run it without the filter installed? That will tell you if pressure is reaching the filter as there is a special feature of the Bauer P0 filter housing that will allow the pressure to escape to atmosphere (Leak) if you do not have a P21 filter installed.

There have been several threads about the thermal switch going bad.

Please keep us informed as to what you found out?

Couple of things to check:

PrffsrE's post above suggests an issue with the PMV which could be the case. Only thing I would add is how to check if it's working. Running without a filter won't tell you if the PMV is working or not as the PMV is on the outlet side of the P21 system. You need to run the unit to full pressure (which may be difficult for you at the moment) and watch the gauge on the filling valve. It should read zero for around 45seconds before quickly going up to approx. 160 bar, then it will slowly charge up to final pressure. If the gauge starts creeping up from zero as soon as you start the machine, the PMV is stuck open or leaking and is not holding backpressure on the filter or 3rd stage.

Although the motor runs OK while unloaded (not connected to the compressor) it could still be an electrical issue. Motor behaviour while loaded is always going to be different. Are you running from mains power or from a generator? A common issue with portable machines on generators is lack of supply voltage. The compressor will try to pull extra power from the generator, increasing the current draw and tripping the overload.

Finally, the electric motors have two capacitors, one to start the unit and one to run it. The run capacitor may be cooked. These are available from any motor repairs store for $20-$30. Worth a try as it's cheap to do.

@Mudbags That is a Great clarification. I was not thinking of the motor! A run capacitor might do that! That would be an inexpensive fix!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom