Bauer Purus question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When the U-10 was discontinued, the selling price was around $3600.00. That was around '95-'96. The Triplex filtration hasn't changed much, so a reasonable price for each would be between $1200.00 and $1500.00 each. The beauty of these units was the hinge plate. It allowed the quick swap between electric and gas driver, provided you had an extra hinge plate. They may still be available. Also, if the head of that one triplex isn't with the machine, I can probably get you a complete tower for less than $250.00, brand new. Although I am not overly fond of that filtration, if kept within specified limits, you can get Grade "D" air quality.

Craig

The "larger" compressor is a Utilus 10 which has been converted to electric. The "smaller" compressor is an original Utilus 10E. Since the 10E has been operated with the correct motor and at the factory recommended rpm for electric service my guess would be that the 10E pump is likely to be in better shape. I would not touch a Utilus that had been spun at 3000 rpm for an extended period. It shows carelessness on the part of the owner which is never a good thing. It is possible that the U 10 motor uses a smaller pulley and the rpms are correct but who knows and why use a 5 hp motor in the first place?

Pesky, if by larger unit , you are referring to the U-10 on the white frame, that is a Bauer supplied extra to incorporate a mag starter and pressure switch. It wasn't meant to be portable and probably came off a small yacht. Neither of those two motors look to be 5 hp.

Craig

Agreed, I was using the same reference as crpntr. I assume he is calling the "4.5" as the large one. I've had trouble following this given the unusual specs offered for these units.

Sorry guys but I am giving what I was given. I haven't seen either unit in person.

I do agree that neither compressor is turning 3,000 with those motors. Probably what he is quoting me is the actual motor RPM. The actual compressor probably runs at around 1,800. Don't know the reduction with the system.
The smaller unit, the one on the cart, has been sold, not that I wanted it. It did come off a boat.

With 98 supposed actual hours I think $2,000 isn't too far off. I can probably talk them down a bit as well.

Any recomendations on what to change the filtration system to and where to get it??

Any recomendations on what to change the filtration system to and where to get it??

Don't know what your intention is as far as operating pressure, but those units were standardly equipped with a final safety, which is in the filter tower head, with a maximum range of 225 bar. Very few had ones that could be set at a max of 330 bar. There is some adjustment room.

As far as filtration, I would "dummy" the 059183 cartridge (might have a L-Factor X22249 installed) and use that tower as a separator. Remote install a 1 lb tower with an X65240 cartridge. Unless you fill the equivalent of (70) 80's in 6 months, a larger filtration isn't needed. If you get the machine and wish to add new filtration, contact me and I'll give you a good deal on new filtration.

I used to take U-10s and add equipment to them for full automation. Basically, hook up the tanks (provided a manifold for filling up to 4 tanks at once), flip a switch and in 2 hours you had full tanks, plus the machine would stop. We installed an auto-drain system as well. I have visited customers that bought machines 10 years previously, to find 30 - 40 hours on the units.

Craig

I would have chosen the 10E. That thing was clean and original, and it is virtually certain that unit was operated at low rpm. It could be rigged with a bigger motor if more output were needed. However, the other could be in good shape as well.

Thanks for the info dannobee!

CraigAClark, I think I would rather go to a non-cartridge filter. From what I have looked at they tend to be cheaper to refill. But I haven't done a lot of homework. Thanks for the info on the separator, I was wonder if it could be done with the existing can.

Is it me or does the larger unit look like it is also ran off of standard 110-120 volt service? I was told that it was single phase 220 but I really don't see the cord being big enough for 220.

220 service requires less current than 110 and the wire can be thinner all else equal. The insulation may be slightly thicker.

Back
Top Bottom