Bauer P21....Is buying filter media to DIY exchange.... Complicated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P3210008 (Mobile).JPG
I made one with my lathe. I have a Clausing lathe you need a heavy duty one. If no lathe you could have a machine shop build one. It's a pressure vessel that holds the chemicals with pads on both ends to keep the media from getting sucked into the piping. The priory valve (By the Gauge) is the most important thing in the system as it keeps the moisture out of the system. Electric power and synthetic oil and what the hell can go wrong if you have clean air going into intake. Schedule 120 is best for a filter I used schedule 80 and it has been working fine for me for 30 years I fill my tanks to 3400 PSI max. The smaller diameter the more pressure it will take make a 2" diameter filter 2 foot long. never weld the end use a O ring with a screwi in cap similar to the tank Valves. If you were in The US and got the material I would do the machine work. Good luck. get the pads and material from Filter Techs if possible.

View attachment 401831 I made one with my lathe. I have a Clausing lathe you need a heavy duty one. If no lathe you could have a machine shop build one. It's a pressure vessel that holds the chemicals with pads on both ends to keep the media from getting sucked into the piping. The priory valve (By the Gauge) is the most important thing in the system as it keeps the moisture out of the system. Electric power and synthetic oil and what the hell can go wrong if you have clean air going into intake. Schedule 120 is best for a filter I used schedule 80 and it has been working fine for me for 30 years I fill my tanks to 3400 PSI max. The smaller diameter the more pressure it will take make a 2" diameter filter 2 foot long. never weld the end use a O ring with a screwi in cap similar to the tank Valves. If you were in The US and got the material I would do the machine work. Good luck. get the pads and material from Filter Techs if possible.
Thankyou sealark your comments are highly appreciated ! I have a large flat belt lathe and a rather old milling machine ! Great idea making the filter 2 foot long ! The compressor I'm setting up is a Bauer K14 310 bar pressure with 3 water separators just need the final filter and pressure maintaining valve I will be driving the unit with a lister diesel ! I intend to use synthetic oil and extend the air intake well away from the engine Thanxs again for your help !

Sealark

G'day sealark im currently setting up a k14 but I have no final filter is it possiable to make one ?? I'm interested in your comments as some filters are over priced !

One of Vance's books has some ideas you could look at.

Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers

I can't remember which book, maybe the oxyhacker companion. I believe he was using surplus hydraulic cylinders.

I am a do-it-yourselfer at heart, but this falls under one of those things that will probably end up costing you almost as much as a good used one would cost you. I have a K14 and they move a lot of air, so size will matter on whatever you end up with. They are pretty simple in concept, but remember that your compressor can put up to 5000psi in whatever vessel you end up with.

Good luck.

Dave

That diesel will get old after a while unless you are using it for remote no AC power application. A 5 hp single phase motor will work for up to about 9 or 10 cu ft. My two K14 have an 8CFM rating and run fine with a 5 hp.

That diesel will get old after a while unless you are using it for remote no AC power application. A 5 hp single phase motor will work for up to about 9 or 10 cu ft. My two K14 have an 8CFM rating and run fine with a 5 hp.
Thanks sealark I have the 7.5 kw =10hp 3phase motor but no 3 phase power ! So was going with a diesel donk but if a 5hp single phase will do the trick I will check it out ! I'm also trying to date the compressor where would the serial number be ??

One of Vance's books has some ideas you could look at.

Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers

I can't remember which book, maybe the oxyhacker companion. I believe he was using surplus hydraulic cylinders.

I am a do-it-yourselfer at heart, but this falls under one of those things that will probably end up costing you almost as much as a good used one would cost you. I have a K14 and they move a lot of air, so size will matter on whatever you end up with. They are pretty simple in concept, but remember that your compressor can put up to 5000psi in whatever vessel you end up with.

Good luck.

Dave
Thanks Dave will check check out airspeed press

Check the CFM if it's more than 8 cfm you may have to go to higher HP. Both mine is a K-14-85 if yours is a different model you may have to go up to a 10 hp. single phase motor. Still better than a Diesel for a stationary, You can also use the 3 phase motor with a phase converter but that will involve close to the cost of a new single phase motor. E bay has some great prices on new motors make sure you get a compressor motor with a 1.15 service factor. My CFMs are stamped on compressor nameplate. If yours aren't call or e mail Bauer in Norfolk. Don't mess with asking local compressor businesses. If they are like here in US all they are after is $$$ and will not tell you a thing. Bauer is different. But if moneys are tight and after seeing your handle, If you have a diesel or access to one just use it and get good ear protection when running it. You do have in my opinion the best block Bauer ever produced.

Last edited:
Y
Check the CFM if it's more than 8 cfm you may have to go to higher HP. Both mine is a K-14-85 if yours is a different model you may have to go up to a 10 hp. single phase motor. Still better than a Diesel for a stationary, You can also use the 3 phase motor with a phase converter but that will involve close to the cost of a new single phase motor. E bay has some great prices on new motors make sure you get a compressor motor with a 1.15 service factor. My CFMs are stamped on compressor nameplate. If yours aren't call or e mail Bauer in Norfolk. Don't mess with asking local compressor businesses. If they are like here in US all they are after is $$$ and will not tell you a thing. Bauer is different. But if moneys are tight and after seeing your handle, If you have a diesel or access to one just use it and get good ear protection when running it. You do have in my opinion the best block Bauer ever produced.
Yep roger that sealark I intend to start to assemble the unit together in the coming days ! The compressor was removed from a dive boat where it was used to fill a bank of 7 /G size cylinders then scuba tanks filled as needed however I'm flying blind as the gear was in storage for some time ! Hence parts are missing including the final filter !

If the compressor is complete the valves are easy to do. Spot in the first 3 stages valves. And replace the 3rd stage valves. The two 3rd stage valves are about 100$ for both from filter techs. The 3rd stage are not servicable. Take the old 3rd stage valves apart and use the holes as a drilling jig to make a tool to remove and replace them in the future. Filter tech has the tools also.

If the compressor is complete the valves are easy to do. Spot in the first 3 stages valves. And replace the 3rd stage valves. The two 3rd stage valves are about 100$ for both from filter techs. The 3rd stage are not servicable. Take the old 3rd stage valves apart and use the holes as a drilling jig to make a tool to remove and replace them in the future. Filter tech has the tools also.
good info sealark thanks
for your help ! Great idea making a removel tool for the stage 3 valves !Iv sourced a hydrulic ram which I intend to modify for a final filter ! I have a good 6 1/2 Hp lister motor runs at 500 rpm has 2 x2foot flywheels driving a 15 inch pulley the k14 has a pulley around 12 inches so the compressor speed will be around 645rpm !

Back
Top Bottom