Bauer P21....Is buying filter media to DIY exchange.... Complicated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tommy7

Registered
Reaction score
I will be filling maybe a dozen or more tanks a week with my Bauer Junior compressor. To cut costs, I'd like to pick up a SS filter housing and begin refilling the media myself. Is doing this all pretty straight forward? It looks easy enough once a person learns the quantities? Thanks, Tommy

Last edited:
I will be filling maybe a dozen or more tanks a week with my Bauer Junior compressor. To cut costs, I'd like to pick up a SS filter housing and begin refilling the media myself. Is doing this all pretty straight forward? It looks easy enough once a person learns the quantities? Thanks, Tommy

Yes, you can buy media from Lawrence Factor as well as other sources. You will need desiccant, hopcolite and activated carbon. However, if it is not necessary to be portable, I would suggest saving your money and upgrading your filter size. You will not save that much money filling your own, and you will get better filtration with a larger media bed. That is a great compressor though, I had one and it ran awesome. Sold it and upgraded to a bigger Bauer.

Dave

Yes, you can buy media from Lawrence Factor as well as other sources. You will need desiccant, hopcolite and activated carbon. However, if it is not necessary to be portable, I would suggest saving your money and upgrading your filter size. You will not save that much money filling your own, and you will get better filtration with a larger media bed. That is a great compressor though, I had one and it ran awesome. Sold it and upgraded to a bigger Bauer.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I bought the ss filter housing and the media already. So I have plenty enough for the near term. What kind of "bigger filter" is there and where do I buy one when I'm ready? Also, won't I be filling the Media in that also?
Thanks for your help. Tommy

Thanks Dave. I bought the ss filter housing and the media already. So I have plenty enough for the near term. What kind of "bigger filter" is there and where do I buy one when I'm ready? Also, won't I be filling the Media in that also?
Thanks for your help. Tommy

A larger filter housing. Keep your eye on ebay or craigslist and you may get lucky, but it sounds like you've got a pretty good set up. I have always bought filter canisters pre-made from LF. I tried filling my own, but it was a pain in the butt and I'm not sure I saved much money. You have to find a way to keep desiccant fresh once you open it.

Cheers!

Tommy7, no need for a bigger filter. I have had a Junior II since1999. We have done something like 3500 fills. No need for a bigger filter. Just fill the SS filter container you have with 80 cc of carbon and 80 of dissicant (with 3 pads). This will fill about 70 to 110 tanks, depending on temperature and tank size/emptiness. No need for hopoclite, even of you use a petrol engine so long as you make sure air intake is a long way from the compressor.

Michael,
Thank you! The 70 to 80 tanks is more than double than what I was expecting. I already bought the hopoclite so I will probably just go ahead and use it. Do you use an oxy sensor? Tommy

Tommy7, no need for a bigger filter. I have had a Junior II since1999. We have done something like 3500 fills. No need for a bigger filter. Just fill the SS filter container you have with 80 cc of carbon and 80 of dissicant (with 3 pads). This will fill about 70 to 110 tanks, depending on temperature and tank size/emptiness. No need for hopoclite, even of you use a petrol engine so long as you make sure air intake is a long way from the compressor.

Agree 100% with above statement Something else you could have done take the filter canister and carefully cut one end off, dump the old chemicals out and put the filter pads in as you refill with new chemicals and use duct tape around the cut end to keep canister together. Filtration is so over rated for $$$$$ with an electric motor and synthetic breathing air oil what contamination can you possibly get??? Just make sure clean fresh air gets sucked into the intake. I have been filling my own tanks for over 40 years. I have never bought a redicoulasly priced canister. I fill about 400 tanks a year. Bauer compressors ONLY 2 K14 and 1 Gas capatono. Change oil and filter material every year. Cost for the filter material less than 5$ each. I buy the chemicals in 5 gallon buckets. Oh and I'm 73 years old and have no pulmonary problems. I also never smoked been diving for 63 years. I would be out today instead of posting but the damn wind and rain here in NW Florida has shut the Vis and diving down.

Michael,
Thank you! The 70 to 80 tanks is more than double than what I was expecting. I already bought the hopoclite so I will probably just go ahead and use it. Do you use an oxy sensor? Tommy
Sorry, have been away diving for the past week without good internet access. No, I do not use an oxygen sensor, except when filling Nitrox.

Thank you Sydney....

Agree 100% with above statement Something else you could have done take the filter canister and carefully cut one end off, dump the old chemicals out and put the filter pads in as you refill with new chemicals and use duct tape around the cut end to keep canister together. Filtration is so over rated for $$$$$ with an electric motor and synthetic breathing air oil what contamination can you possibly get??? Just make sure clean fresh air gets sucked into the intake. I have been filling my own tanks for over 40 years. I have never bought a redicoulasly priced canister. I fill about 400 tanks a year. Bauer compressors ONLY 2 K14 and 1 Gas capatono. Change oil and filter material every year. Cost for the filter material less than 5$ each. I buy the chemicals in 5 gallon buckets. Oh and I'm 73 years old and have no pulmonary problems. I also never smoked been diving for 63 years. I would be out today instead of posting but the damn wind and rain here in NW Florida has shut the Vis and diving down.
Sealark
G'day sealark im currently setting up a k14 but I have no final filter is it possiable to make one ?? I'm interested in your comments as some filters are over priced !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom