Bauer K14-E1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jane_dives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it normal for this guy to start and stop periodically during normal operations, or is it about to implode? TIA

Jane

If your compressor has auto start stop it is normal. But since this is new enough to ask about, I will assume that you don't have that. I will also assume that you don't have a motor controller since it comes back on by itself. It sounds like your motor is tripping off and then, when the fault clears, comes back on.

You neeed to find out why it is tripping. If you have dirty power (a drop in voltage) your amperage will go up and trip the overload. However, more likely, your compressor is having some problems moving air or itself so is overloading the motor on itself.

You can check for freedom of movement by turning off the power, pulling off the belt, open the condensate drains and spinning the compressor by hand. If you can turn it fairly easy, then I would check the valves.

Of course, there's no substitute for having a pro come play with your system...especially if you aren't big on doing your own compressor maintenance. (hmmm ... I guess if you were big on doing your own service you wouldn't be here asking questions. I shouldn't have had that last eggnog!:coffee:)

Hope that helps!

What do you mean by "stop?" Not rotate? Rotate, but not pump? Unload?

Thanks everyone, I actually just met this compressor (new store), so I don't know if it auto stop/starts. It ceases to rotate/pump but resumes running quickly and operates for a solid half hour. I thought maybe the bank up front wasn't open enough or it had just temporarily overheated.

Back
Top Bottom