Bug in Bauer Utilus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sh_underwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Guys!!

I got a 1990 Bauer Utilus. However, when I tried to charge an empty tank of 80cuft, it only filled up to 80BAR in about 20 minutes.

What I have noticed is that the 1st and 2nd stage cylinders are hot, but the 3rd stage cylinder is not.

Also, when you stop driving, air is leaking slightly from the intake filter.

Do you know why the pressure does not rise?

Is the 2nd stage safety valve venting? That would indicate a stuck suction/inlet valve as suggested by @Dsix36.

3rd stage floating piston is likely cooked if the third stage is not getting hot.

Bleed the unit down and carefully remove the inlet/outlet tube connections from the 3rd stage head. Remove the head bolts and take off the valve head cover and valve head. Carefully remove the entire floating piston/sleeve assembly with a flathead screwdriver or similar. Try to push the piston up and down with your finger, if you can't move it, it's seized.

If you can move it, slide it out of the sleeve and check the piston and sleeve for scoring. If there's damage (even fine score marks) it's cooked and won't make pressure.

Check the inlet and outlet valves while you're there. Probably worth replacing those while the third stage is apart.

P/N 075310 - third stage floating piston assy.
P/N 81409 - third stage inlet valve
P/N 014121 - third stage outlet valve

All parts are the same as the current JuniorII so should be available at your local dealer.

Be careful with a 30 year old machine, the fittings at the valve head are susceptible to damage if they haven't been taken apart for years.

Back
Top Bottom