Bauer Junior II off of 2x Honda EU2200i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jordan_zar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Experts!

I'm trying to work out a compressor for my boat, and the Bauer Junior II is the obvious choice.

The problem is: I don't have a ~5kW genset. What I do have is a EU2200i generator, which is 2.2kW.
I could get a 2nd compressor and run them in parallel mode for a total of 4.4kW.

Bauer pretty aggressively isn't willing to tell me if that will work. Based on the numbers it should barely be enough for the 110V version.

Does anyone here (by chance) use 2x honda eu2200i generators to run a Bauer Junior II?
Or has anyone tried it and found that its not enough power?

I'd like to avoid buying the gasoline version if possible, because the weight becomes prohibitive for my application.

Thanks
-Jordan

I doubt it will have enough surge to start it.
2 generators.... maybe

What's the compressor motor plate rating?

A Bauer Junior II needs well over 5kw to start it. It uses about 3.2kw once running. Best bet, and what I did when I owned a yacht, was to use a Honda petrol engine for it. Was quicker than electricity too.

See my website article for more information: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Bit of a crazy idea. Depending on size and space of boat and if you need an inverter anyway.
install a LF inverter with a battery bank. And use the honda generator to charge on the fly.
That way you don't need as big a battery bank.
But do not underestimate the amount of power needed.

My uittlus will run on a gas 3 hp.
But has trouble starting. And starts to petter out at 3000psi. Just not enough torque.
3 hp electric 3phase motor handles it no problem. Add a VFD on 220v.
it's so nice. Quiet and smooth.
Gas engine with a compressor are very noisy and get annoying fast.

A Bauer Junior II needs well over 5kw to start it. It uses about 3.2kw once running. Best bet, and what I did when I owned a yacht, was to use a Honda petrol engine for it. Was quicker than electricity too.

See my website article for more information: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site
Thanks - this is what I was looking for. Sounds like 5kW is a real limit and not just them covering themselves. Looks like I'd need the petrol version.

Bit of a crazy idea. Depending on size and space of boat and if you need an inverter anyway.
install a LF inverter with a battery bank. And use the honda generator to charge on the fly.
That way you don't need as big a battery bank.
But do not underestimate the amount of power needed.
Its an interesting idea to split the load between the house battery bank and a generator.

It would be a monster inverter - I think the one I've got now is 3kW. Also don't love the idea of running such high current out of it for ~1 hour filling tanks... I'd need to get something like a 10kW and maybe put it in a place with active ventilation.

The inverter idea is a good start. But there are other ways.
Something like MultiPlus-II - Victron Energy
It takes the generator input and passes it through. Charges the batteries if there is enough generator capacity. Or it pulls off the battery if the generator capacity isn't enough.
Actual model that would be correct? You would need to do research. I know of the existence, but have not had to actually deal with them (yet).

Its an interesting idea to split the load between the house battery bank and a generator.

It would be a monster inverter - I think the one I've got now is 3kW. Also don't love the idea of running such high current out of it for ~1 hour filling tanks... I'd need to get something like a 10kW and maybe put it in a place with active ventilation.
I have a xantrex inverter charger on my boat. You can set how much power is available coming in and it will pick up the slack. Allows me to run AC off a little 2000watt Honda. The Honda will run it but won't start it. The inverter is capable of 2kw output so I get up to 5k starting watts and as long as the unit doesn't pull more than 2000watts, the batteries have no discharge.

There is all kinds of options in the inverter side of things....

I really like this one.

But there are all kinds of options.
You want to look at solar inverters, there are all kinds of options for grid priority etc.

It's a bit of a rabbit hole into off grid power.

Don't know if you are aware of the difference of low frequency vs high frequency inverters. Something else to look into.

Fyi your 2200 watt gen makes theoretical 2.94 hp in electricity

I have a xantrex inverter charger on my boat. You can set how much power is available coming in and it will pick up the slack. Allows me to run AC off a little 2000watt Honda. The Honda will run it but won't start it. The inverter is capable of 2kw output so I get up to 5k starting watts and as long as the unit doesn't pull more than 2000watts, the batteries have no discharge.
What model do you have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom