Bauer compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwbobber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I saw an ad for this little compressor. It say 2hp 2.7 cfm 1500 rpm. max psi 5000 They said model PE-1, but I can't find information on a compressor that small with that model no. They say its made in 1987. Is this a junior? I think I read here that the purus was no later than 1985. Asking price 1200$ Good deal or not?
TIA
Bob

Try P-E1 (Purus E1). It is not a Junior, but is the same machine as a U10-E1 (Utilus 10 E1). I'm basing this on the model year as there was a predecessor called Purus, which is entirely different. However, based on the rpms you mentioned, it is quite possible that the machine is a Varius. It is a real shame that these were discontinued as the motors were on a hinge plate, allowing easy swap out between electric and gas/diesel. BTW, the unit can be run at 1800 rpm with a 2hp motor or 2300 rpm with a 3hp motor. Gas versions were generally equipped with 5.5hp Hondas and the diesel with a 4hp Yanmar. I'm not overly fond of the Triplex filtration, but for it's day (they still use this filtration), Grade "D" was accepted for portable tank fill compressors. This version was made up till the mid 90's, at which time it was replaced with the Junior and now the Junior II. Parts are still available for the Purus/Utilus 10, but I'm not sure about the Varius.

When the Junior first came out, the craze in diving were colors. So they came out with red, blue, yellow and yes, even fusia(sp).

Craig

Last edited:
Im going to try to post some pics.
bauer3.jpg

bauer2.jpg

bauer.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully these photos will help I couldn't make out the compressor number. Does it look like everything is here? If the filtration is not what it should can I add a filter to get grade E air economically?
I looked for the utilus and couldn't find anything that looked like this. I did find on ebay someone who was selling a compressor that looked much like this except for the frame who called it a new/old stock purus that he bought two seasons ago.

You will be fine with the filter. I had mine tested this spring and all was well within the limits for grade E. I know several others that have the same filter and have no problems.
If you want to add one it is possible. Pescador will probably post and tell you about his. Again you will probably get an argument about the materials that he uses but he has tested it. Just my $.02

That is the predecessor to the last model Purus that was produced. It looks complete. I disagree with the efficiency of the cartridge. You may get 2-3 hours of Grade "E" but it will not process Grade "E" for the stated cartridge life of 3200 cu ft.

Make sure you check the function of the pressure maintaining valve (PMV). This will certainly have an effect on the air quality if it is not functioning. This unit is attached to the filter tower base where the fill hose connects.

Craig

I found out the hour meter says 1692. How many hours before you expect major maintenance issues?
I have seen some posts by pesky concerning hydraulic accumulators packed with charcoal and something else, I think I would like to add something like that. If I go that route is the present filter useful or are the cartridges too expensive? I guess I'm wondering if it can be used as a pre filter, and if there are filter cartridges designed for that type of use.

About the BP valve, it should be set for 2400 psi if possible. Judging the longevity of a filter cartridge is tricky because of the properties of the chemicals and due to the construction of the canister. Under the right conditions of continuous operation, temperature and humidity it may well be that the life of the cartridge is as Bauer states. However, compressors are not operated in that way, not usually. A portable, like this Purus, would be operated intermittantly. During the down times, a hybrid coalescer/filter sits around subject to varying conditions. If the drain cock is left open then we should expect atmospheric air to enter the canister which will quickly degrade the chemicals. Moreover, I believe that hybrid canisters of this type harbor small amounts of water, drops or puddles that are left behind after blow down. If this theory is correct it would imply limitations to filter life through internal humidity. Bauer is sensitive to these issues and now offers a "super triplex" filter, for a price.

Bobber, I can't say that this is a "good deal". There are satisfied users of the Purus from whom we've heard on SB. My bias would be toward a model based on the Utilus 10. If you could find a Utilus for that price, in good condition, I would say "snap it up". This case is not so clear as the unit has had a fair amount of use, it has modest output and the Purus that I remember used to push a fair amount of water into the oil sump. Check if there is an inter-separator like the Utilus 10. Mine did not have one but that was ages ago.

Yes, filtration can be added down stream. Jim Shelden sells some inexpensive cans that can be packed with media and they should should do a credible job. There is always the issue of how to mount the extra stuff but this electric powered compressor suggests that a final could be bolted to the wall or whatever, and not necessarily to the frame. Just run an hp hose to the final and attach the whip to the output.

I sure appreciate the responses, folks. You guys are awesome!
Is the PMV some type of pressure relief type valve keeping some back pressure in the filter stack? How does it affect air quality?
I'm going to look at the compressor this afternoon. Looking at the photos I think I need to put a cord on it in order to run it, I'm not sure if that will be possible. Is it possible to inspect the valve and make a reasonable judgement as to its condition without running it? Are they expensive to replace?

Pesky, you'll love the original thought behind the Triplex cartridge. They figured that you could "drain" the moisture out and the chemical would be good to go!

SE Asia won't buy the LF X22249 replacement for the original 059183 Bauer because it won't "last" 50 hours like the original. See the original is not clear like the LF so you can't see the media, therefore it last 50 hours.:wink:

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom