Battle of the Canon dSLRs. How do I choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I've decided to drink the Kool-aid and buy a dSLR. I am looking most strongly at the Canon 40D vs the 450D. I like the look and the feel of the 40D but I'm not sure that makes this the strongest for use underwater where the smaller size and lower weight of the 450d makes sense.

How do I decide (especially in view of rebates that will decrease the differences)?

What lenses do I buy in anticipation of using the camera underwater?

Thanks for any advice.

For lenses, head to the Sticky (Pink Link in my signature) for a run down of the best options.

As for the decision between the 40D and 450D - both are excellent cameras and you can't go wrong with either. Will you use the "extras" the 40D offers (highlight priority, slightly better high ISO use, more frames/second burst, faster max shutter etc - for a side by side click here) ENOUGH to make the price difference worthwhile?

Do you want to house this right away? If so, the 40D as there are no 450D housings out quite yet.

If you don't need the absolute latest and greatest, check out the awesome 400D - save some bucks, have a good choice of housings available already and use the savings to buy better glass and/or go diving. This would be my first choice for those who don't really need the 40D...and you'll already know if you need the 40D...if you aren't sure, you don't need it :wink:

Thanks Alcina, you are a great resource for the Scubaboard.

I was thinking of the 450D to save money for lenses, but like the 28-130mm lens for above water shooting that comes with the 40D.

Would the 17-70 sigma and the 60mm sigma be good starting points for a lens collection?

Thanks Alcina, you are a great resource for the Scubaboard.

I was thinking of the 450D to save money for lenses, but like the 28-130mm lens for above water shooting that comes with the 40D.

Would the 17-70 sigma and the 60mm sigma be good starting points for a lens collection?

Yes.

The Sigma 17-70 is an awesome lens, it is so versatile, and it's pretty darn sharp. It takes a pretty good macro too, it's my walk around lens of choice, and pretty hard to beat for the money.

I'll probably add a 70-200L lens one of these days to round out the walk around abilities...

The Canon 60mm is a great macro lens, nice and sharp, fast focus, and if you add a woody, it will make for even better "Nudibranch nose hair pics".

Not so sure about the Sigma 60mm though, but I'm sure someone who has used it will chime in. I'm pretty sur eI have heard some very positive reviews of the Sigma 60mm though :)

I'm currently using a 100mm macro, but think I'll be adding the 60mm as well soon.

Z...

I use the 20D and if I was moving on I would go for the 40D. I use the 17X85mm Canon IS as a walk-around and general underwater lens as well as the 100mm Canon Macro, but am chomping at the bit to try my 50mm Canon macro in Cozumel this summer. I also use the kit lens. I have the 70-200mm L lens and the the 90-300mm regular Canon AF for surface work.

Don't forget strobes, if you go below 20-30 feet you will need them (at least one) I have dual Ikelite DS51s.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom