BAtteries being confiscated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
Be warned that batteries can be confiscated at the airport. TSA rules apply in the US but other countries can and will make up their own rules and enforcement.

I just left the Philippines for the US and the Philippine National Police attempted to confiscate the AAA batteries for my MP3 player. It took about 20 minutes of arguing, name dropping, and finagling in ways the average tourist doesn't have access to to get them back. (The illogic was that they weren't concerned about the battery in the laptop)

I really would have hated to see what they would do with the battery from the canister light.

Just remember that TSA rules are a minimum security measure for flights flying to or from the US. Countries can impose a stricter regulation.

Especially when you know some Dell lappies have batteries that catch fire...

But hey, it is for the percieved, not actual, threat....

Thank you for the warning...

Wow....thanks...I am going to Jamaica in October...I will keep that in mind!!!

Sometimes airport security confiscations will target items that are deemed useful to the screening personnel. I wouldn't be surprised if your batteries ended up in the National Police's MP3 players.

name dropping, and finagling in ways the average tourist doesn't have access to

There is no way that, on this board, you can expect to make a comment like that and not elaborate! I would love to know why. Don't forget, there are places to be modest, but let us know!

As for the issue...I guess we'll have to resort to checking battery'ed gear in checked luggage. This scares me...because i would have to have to check my suunto mosquito. If I didnt, and they tried to remove my battery, the whole o-ring assembly has to be (or is recommended to be) replaced! Could alter my plans greatly!

Halthron:
the Philippine National Police attempted to confiscate the AAA batteries for my MP3 player. It took about 20 minutes of arguing, name dropping, and finagling in ways the average tourist doesn't have access to to get them back.

well... so long as you think AAA batteries are worth that much effort

:eyebrow:

This happens quite a bit in Mexican airports.

Just print this out and stick it on your HID battery: LINK Sure, it's not really anything, but they don't know that. My experience has been that they take one look at the sticker and pass it right through.

Thanks, Airspeed Press!!

archman:
Sometimes airport security confiscations will target items that are deemed useful to the screening personnel. I wouldn't be surprised if your batteries ended up in the National Police's MP3 players.
I have no doubt that occurs but I've lived here for a year and I have some experience with how the graft goes on. This wasn't an attempt at theft, nor an attempt at graft.
H2Andy:
well... so long as you think AAA batteries are worth that much effort

:eyebrow:
I had an hour and a half to get to my gate. I could sit around in the lounge or I could entertain myself. :D
rocketry:
There is no way that, on this board, you can expect to make a comment like that and not elaborate! I would love to know why. Don't forget, there are places to be modest, but let us know!

As for the issue...I guess we'll have to resort to checking battery'ed gear in checked luggage. This scares me...because i would have to have to check my suunto mosquito. If I didnt, and they tried to remove my battery, the whole o-ring assembly has to be (or is recommended to be) replaced! Could alter my plans greatly!
It's nothing major just that because of the work I do, I have access to contacts and methods of persuasion that tourists don't. Think if you were enforcing a petty coorporate policy and it turns out the person being affected was the neice of one of the VPs.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to put my bottom timer in checked baggage. I fully expect this type of behvior to occur primarily in 3rd world countries, where I highly doubt they'll be confiscating the batteries out of every wrist watch. Obvious, sure. Inobvious, probably not.
Rick Inman:
Just print this out and stick it on your HID battery: LINK Sure, it's not really anything, but they don't know that. My experience has been that they take one look at the sticker and pass it right through.

Thanks, Airspeed Press!!
Rick, that works great for people who can reason and use independent judgement. That doesn't apply to most 3rd world security people though. If they're told "no batteries", they'll stop anything that looks like a battery. I agree that's a good thing to bring for TSA people who don't know the rules offhand.

How about cellphones and PDAs?

Don't you just love the illogical way the system works?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom