Batteries - are all brands created equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the price of CR2450 batteries (Energizer is $3.47 at local Walmart), it is silly to look for el cheapos on the internet or elsewhere. I am currently using Energizers, but have had good luck with Radio Shack CR2450, which is a bit more expensive locally and is marked "Made in Japan". Although I have no evidence, I suspect that these are made either by Panasonic or Sony.

FWIW: For the standard alkaline batteries, RadioShack sells Rayovac under the Enercell label.
For CR2450 (and other button cells) I believe they are using Datona, previously used Renata.

I've used the batteries supplied with the kits from Ebay on my Vyper and Prodigy and they've worked fine. As long as they're brand name batteries I doubt the brand makes a difference. I bet the manufacturer gets paid to mention specific brand in the manual.

Adam

Grumpy,
Are Datona and Renata made in Japan? Of course, that is the problem with "store" brands. Whoever has the price gets the contract, and stores are not really forthcoming about who that manufacturer is. And, on one display at a given time there may be products from more than one manufacturer.

Grumpy,
Are Datona and Renata made in Japan? Of course, that is the problem with "store" brands. Whoever has the price gets the contract, and stores are not really forthcoming about who that manufacturer is. And, on one display at a given time there may be products from more than one manufacturer.

Renata is a Swiss company and claims the their batteries are made there.

Datona is a US based distributor, who knows where theirs are made, probably multiple locations including China.

I can pretty guarantee you will have trouble with crap batteries! I have a brand new veo 2.0 with 22 dives on it flashing low-bat! I had really hoped it would not have the same problem with batteries as the veo 180 it replaced. I haven't opened it yet to check the battery type cuz i want to call oceanic for their advice. Dive shop wanted me to send it back. We've been using sony's. Pretty much solved the problem on my veo 200, not so much on the 180. Battery problems are tiresome, especially when they occur on your wife's computer :) Good luck with yours! I like the screen layout changes they made.

I can pretty guarantee you will have trouble with crap batteries! I have a brand new veo 2.0 with 22 dives on it flashing low-bat! I had really hoped it would not have the same problem with batteries as the veo 180 it replaced. I haven't opened it yet to check the battery type cuz i want to call oceanic for their advice. Dive shop wanted me to send it back. We've been using sony's. Pretty much solved the problem on my veo 200, not so much on the 180. Battery problems are tiresome, especially when they occur on your wife's computer :) Good luck with yours! I like the screen layout changes they made.

Is it flashing low battery on start up or all the time?

My 180's tend to do this on start up only after 20-30 dives , then go back to full or 1 bar low for another 30-40 dives before really taking a dump.

I bought 30 noname batteries from Hong Kong for $5, including shipping. It took a month, and they usually only last ten dives or so, but for 17 cents a month I'm not complaining about the hassle.

I bought 30 noname batteries from Hong Kong for $5, including shipping. It took a month, and they usually only last ten dives or so, but for 17 cents a month I'm not complaining about the hassle.

That is an example of "false economy". Every time you open the battery compartment increases the risk that an unnoticed grain of sand, salt, or other foreign matter will interfere with the seal upon reclosing. I normally get 200-300 dives out of a battery.

That is an example of "false economy". Every time you open the battery compartment increases the risk that an unnoticed grain of sand, salt, or other foreign matter will interfere with the seal upon reclosing. I normally get 200-300 dives out of a battery.

Exactly. With that short of life, loosing a couple of dives on a trip is a real possibility on top of losing the computer.

I wrote to Aeris about the brand they recommend for the Manta. I checked the specs from three different battery manufacturers, and each was slightly different. unfortunately, no response from Aeris was forthcoming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom