Basking Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone ever dived with Basking sharks? Please share your experience(s). I would LOVE to see one - I've heard that the Isle of Man is/was the best place to see them?

Vie:
Anyone ever dived with Basking sharks? Please share your experience(s). I would LOVE to see one - I've heard that the Isle of Man is/was the best place to see them?

Fairly common in British waters they tend to just go about there business and ignore people. I have never been in the water with a whale shark but after reading reports on them I think it is the same experience

Ha. It just so happens that our staff photographer went to Cornwall to dive with baskers. The cover for issue # 9 is a Basking shark. We just got them in, mailing as we speak and our centerfold image is a basker. Its a great story. If you all are interested in a sneek peek at the upcoming issue, here is a look at it. With several basking shark images not published in the magazine...Enjoy
www.sharkdivermag.com/issue9.html

Eli

SharkDiverMag:
Ha. It just so happens that our staff photographer went to Cornwall to dive with baskers. The cover for issue # 9 is a Basking shark. We just got them in, mailing as we speak and our centerfold image is a basker. Its a great story. If you all are interested in a sneek peek at the upcoming issue, here is a look at it. With several basking shark images not published in the magazine...Enjoy
www.sharkdivermag.com/issue9.html

Eli

Imagine turning your light while on a safety stop at night to see that thing 10' from you? Ha ha ha - talk about stopping dead in your tracks.

--Matt

You don't need to dive at night for one of these guys to scare you. Here is a picture for you; Your in cold murky water with very low vis because of the plankton bloom. Your swimming at the surface, waiting and waiting, and from out of the shadows comes a shark that has the same body shape of a great white. And for these sharks to come near you, its best to be alone! Your mind will play tricks on you, and it isn't until they are a few feet away that you are sure its a basking shark...FUN! Now thats why shark diving is the most exciting part of diving!

cheers,

Eli
www.sharkdivermag.com

Welcome to the board Eli, Can't wait to get a shark dive going here in Orange Beach, Al.
Going out tomorrow hope to see some and get some footage.

I was lucky enough to snorkel with a basking shark last week off the coast of west Wales. We were motoring back from our dive site when we spotted one off our port side so we jumped in. It was about 5m long and swam right underneath us before circling back around as if checking us out before disspearing into the blue. It was a fantastic thing to have happened and I had the biggest smile on my face for the rest of the day.
I'll post pictures of it when i have them in digital format.

hey,

yeah, im over on the isle of man... and yes!! wow we had large shoals (is that right for sharks?!) of them last summer (2005) - quite a way off shore, about 4mile, as the plankton bloom was far out that year.

Been speaking to the guys at mann scuba divers (www.mannscubadivers.co.uk) and they say they've been out snorkeling with them! alright for some I guess!!

roll on next summer!
amx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom