Basking shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend who works on the Escapade dive boat called me last night. He had been working the boat yesterday and on the way to the dive sites in Carmel Bay they spotted a large Whale Shark in the water. The captian stopped the boat so a couple diver could go in and photos were taken..

A friend who works on the Escapade dive boat called me last night. He had been working the boat yesterday and on the way to the dive sites in Carmel Bay they spotted a large Whale Shark in the water. The captian stopped the boat so a couple diver could go in and photos were taken..

Wow, isn't that almost unheard of in that area?

Wow! Where are the photos!?!?! :D I had an amazing time with the WS in Mexico and would absolutely love to see them up here!!

basking shark, not whale shark

Ahhh, that makes more sense. Still a great sighting though!

your right ,,,it was a basking shark...I just think whale when I see them and out it goes thru the fingers...lol...you don't see them often but they do come thru here...it was about 25'...I don't know who has the pictures though...I think the boat captain took some and hopefully someone else on the boat did too and will post them here..

I would love to see a basking shark. I swam with whale sharks this summer in Mexico. It's thrilling to see an animal that large. Gets some pics of that shark please.

Basking sharks are pretty unusual hereabouts (I've never seen one). They used to be quite
common many years ago, but were fished out. There's an old story of seeing dozens on a sail
from Santa Cruz to Monterey.

I heard that the Beach Hopper found this one first. They said it was as big as the 'Hopper.

Here are a couple of pics of a basking shark, they are rather large...

Basking-Shark-06.jpg

kevghd.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom