Basic Start Up Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey there... new to the sport and searching for simple basic inexpensive gear to help with open water certifications. Mask and fins are definitely wanted.

You should post your sizes i.e. wetsuit, foot size (small, medium, large). I have a wetsuit, fins, and booties for sale. Tall person with big feet lol. booties are brand new never wet and suit is like new condition. Check my posts in classifieds here on SB. Thanks, welcome to Scuba board and good luck on dive certification. It's as great as you make it, and well worth it. Ask lots of questions to members and do research on gear before you buy. Good luck.

Like he said, ask lots of questions. Get involved in the other sections of the forums (Basic discussion, New divers) with posting questions, reading lots of existing questions, etc. I'd also recommend renting gear for your training, trying a couple different brands of wetsuits and BCDs. Before buying a BCD, trying renting a back-inflate BCD and backplate & wing (you can google "bp/w" for more info). Lastly, don't skimp on regulators. If you buy used stuff, have it checked by the LDS before you use it underwater.

Totally agree with on_two_wheels, best to "test drive" different styles and brands to see which suit your needs. Also makes sense to do some dives to make sure this is what you want to get into. Once you get into a group of divers you should be able to pick up some good second stuff from them - get second stuff serviced before use.

Instructors can sometimes get deals on equipment, so have a chat to whoever is doing your training

:D

The LDS I teach through allows students to try different pieces of gear in the pool until you get a setup you like and are comfortable with. Perhaps their is an opportunity such as this where you are going to be doing your training... Good luck and have FUN!!!

Many masks will fit most faces, but that's not a guarantee.
Better to get that in a shop where you can try 'em on.
Good luck with the course!

Back
Top Bottom