• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Basic mask question

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks & Snorkels' started by Rukkian, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Rukkian

Rukkian Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99

Thanks, that helps. I was thinking that, but didn't know if I was missing some killer feature.

2. Merlyne

Merlyne Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Aside from brand pricing, the value of a mask is in the grade of silicone for the skirt and the construction. Many of us prefer frameless masks as they sit closer and have less internal volume, thus easier to equalize and clear. The softer skirt usually makes for a better seal and increased comfort, but not always.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I would personally ditch the snorkel or get a folding one to store in your BC or pockets. As the others have stated, cost means nothing if the mask doesn't fit. I would recommend black and low volume skirting. The clear masks yellow over time, especially if they're cheap. Food grade silicone grease around the lip section can help seal leaks.

4. Rukkian

Rukkian Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99

Thanks for the DGX recommendation. That was just what I was looking for. I ordered one, and used it for the first time the fish tank last night. The field of view was great, perfect seal, very comfortable.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Scuba Client and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The silicone on the cheaper masks from Walmart, Dicks, Costco, etc is often stiffer and will get more so over time.
    The masks your LDS sells are likely made in the same factory in Taiwan using a different grade of silicone. I often look for brands like XS Scuba, ScubaMax, or small gear company names (Edge/HOG) because they have the same mask the big guys do with a different badge.
    Markup on masks can be 50-200% depending on the badge and shop.
    I used a panoramic for years that Oceanic sold for MSRP of 79 bucks. My ScubaMax version was 59. Then I got to work for the shop. Dealer cost? 19.95 - 21.95 depending on the tier they were at in pricing.
    My current is a SeaVision that was $39. Then I had to add the 250 dollar bi-focal lenses.

Scuba Client and Rukkian like this.