Basic gear from the former German Democratic Republic: East German masks and snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very good...now i understand...thanks for the response.

Moving on to another East German snorkel, this time an L-shaped one. It's the first one in this collection of East German breathing tubes:
v0038-jpg-431150-jpg.431666.jpg

The reasoning behind the L-shaped snorkel is that it lacks the "U" bend of the J-shaped snorkel where water can accumulate, making it harder to clear the snorkel.

L-shaped snorkel with offset mouthpiece
$(KGrHqZ,!lIFIk8vIjovBSOhl,vWHw~~60_57.JPG

$_58.JPG
$_57.JPG
The above images derive from German eBay auctions that have since ended. The snorkel came with a gray, yellow or red barrel and a gray mouthpiece offset at an angle of 90 degrees.

Let's take a closer look at the text on the wrapping paper that came with one of the snorkels:
1102f647579509ef180191b59fbdc6a20.jpg
I'll translate the key elements:

Taucherschnorchel aus PVC mit verstellbarem Mundstück = PVC Diver's snorkel with adjustable mouthpiece.
Konstruktion entspricht den Anforderungen des Tauchsportes = Design conforms to the requirements of recreational diving.
VEB Sportgerätewerk Karl-Marx-Stadt = Karl-Marx-Stadt (now Chemnitz) Publicly Owned Sports Equipment Works.
Achtung! Verlängerung der Schnorchellänge ist nicht statthaft, es besteht LEBENSGEFAHR = Caution! Lengthening the snorkel length is not permitted. Life-threatening!
Anleitung zum Einstellen des Mundstückes = How to adjust the mouthpiece.
1. Mundstück vom Rohr entfernen = 1. Remove the mouthpiece from the barrel.
2. Gebogenes Rohrende anfeuchten = 2. Moisten the curved end of the barrel.
3. Mundstück aufschieben und drehen, bis richtige Stellung des Rohres zum Kopf erreicht ist = 3. Replace the mouthpiece and rotate it until the tube reaches the correct position in relation to the head.

The container also gives the price, 3.35 East German marks. Officially, one Ostmark (abbreviated M) = one Westmark (abbreviated DM), but in practice the East German currency unit was a fraction of the West German unit in value.

One of the auctions suggested that an enterprising seller was repackaging and selling East German snorkels to twenty-first century customers with an interest in "Ostalgie" (Nostalgia for the East German way of life):
s-l1601a.jpg

Note the word "Wagesi" embossed on the mouthpiece, probably the name of the reseller. The accompanying text on the image reads: "Diver's Snorkel from the former GDR. Rare collector's item".

In conclusion, here's an exhibit from the German Divers' Museum in Berlin-Wendenschloß, showing the snorkel together with an East German "Pinguin" drysuit:
foto_deutschland_tauchermuseum_schnorchel1.jpg

Exponate des Sporttauchermuseums: Schnorchel

That's about it for East German basic diving gear, although I know I've drawn an incomplete picture particularly of masks, but I can always return later if new sources of information emerge. I'll pass on to another East European country in a new thread soon, probably Czechoslovakia, which has split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia since the fall of the "Iron Curtain".

thanks you..i enjoyed the presentation and the information..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom