Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Spain: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the likes, John. And thanks for pointing out, dmaziuk, that the quotation in my earlier posting was from a Ukrainian diving manual, not one written in Russian. I must have overlooked this fact because the text contained no Ukrainian-only Cyrillic characters such as "ї".

More snorkels from the early Spanish diving equipment manufacturer Beltrán.

1688879220425.png
So a traditional valveless "J"-shaped breathing tube fitted with a keeper for attachment to a snorkel strap. The mouthpiece comes with a single flange but without the usual twin lugs. There is instead an extension of the mouthpiece stem for the user to bite on.

No illustration of this model forthcoming from the Beltrán catalogue. Just the following product description: "Respirador Beltrán sencillo sin bola modelo numero 1540", translating to "Simple Beltrán respirator without ball (valve) model number 1540".

On now to Beltrán fins. The Spanish company was awarded a patent for an "improved swimming fin shoe":

1688881152391.png

1688881199651.png

1688881242962.png
I have added a rough translation. The invention related to the use of sponge-rubber cushions fixed on the inside of the strap and lining the interior of the foot pocket to prevent chafing.

I shall begin my review of Beltrán fin models midweek.

I must have overlooked this fact because the text contained no Ukrainian-only Cyrillic characters such as "ї".

In some (degenerate) cases "i" is the only way to tell :wink:

DRW,

I think that Hans Hass, in this photo, may be wearing the Beltrán fins. This is from page 255, We Come From The Sea, by Hans Hass, Doubleday & Company, Inc., Garden City, New York, 1959. This photo includes Lotte Hass, and I think Jimmy ________ . (No last name for Jimmy that I can see right now.)

SeaRat

Attachments

• Hans Hass fins002.jpg
    Hans Hass fins002.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the like, Alex, and for the posts, Alex and John. Funny you should mention Hans Hass in the context of Beltrán fins, as Beltrán marketed a fin called "Hans":
1689137759783.png
Spanish: "ALETAS (PIES PATO). Modelo 'Hans' de gran potencia Ptas. 280'50".
Rough translation: "FINS (FLIPPERS). High-power 'Hans' model 280.50 pesetas".
1689138179877.png
Spanish: "Aletas «Beltrán» mod. HANS. 317'90".
Rough translation: "'Beltrán' model HANS fins. 317.90 pesetas".

These fins bear a close resemblance to System Hans Hass fins marketed by Heinke of London:
1689138596691.png
The original System Hans Hass fins, manufactured by Semperit of Vienna, Heinke of London and Barakuda of Hamburg were designed by Hans Hass himself. They came with twin-buckle adjustable heel straps and single centre ribs on their blades.

Further Beltrán fin models today. These were nameless products, identified simply by a stock number.

1689482228463.png
A curious design with a foot entry similar to a closed-heel fin but featuring a fixed heel strap and heel platform instead in a semi-closed sandal-type style. As for the blade, it is very reminiscent of the French-made Hurricane "Gouvernail" model fin:
1689482643908.png
Note the resemblance in the reinforcement ribs on the blades that also claim to enhance the hydrodynamics of the fin. The centre rib in particular is referenced as a "rudder" ("gouvernail" in French).

1689482976437.png
Spanish: "Aletas Beltrán pesca submarina n.° 1.602".
Rough translation: "Beltrán spearfishing fins n.° 1.602".

So a fin whose specified purpose is underwater fishing. Note the size-adjustable heel strap with added heel protection at the rear. As with the 1601 model, the centre rib on the blade extends halfway up the top of the foot pocket for thrust transmission.

Final batch of Beltrán fins midweek.

A kinking rubber tube valve does not seem a promising idea which is what the patent is talking about.
Some inventors get so excited over their (perceived) innovativeness that they lose sight of practicality. "New and Improved" are not necessarily always together, but the inventor thinks they are. I was once asked to put together a patent application for someone. That took a lot of back-and-forth, because the application process required a section called "current art," which comprises an overview of what similar inventions already exist and how this one is different. It also specifies that one cannot patent something that would be obvios to any comptent engineer in the field. The patent application I was tasked with seemed to me to fall short in both departments, but of course the inventor was not prepared to hear that.

Thanks for the post, WeRtheOcean.

Today we complete the range of Beltrán fins.

1689741448349.png
This model came with an adjustable heelstrap secured with twin buckles. No evidence of an extended sole to protect the underside of the heel. The blade is reinforced with side rails only and its tip appears to be asymmetrical, suggesting different shapes for left and right feet.

1689742309632.png
The heel portion resembles the curious sandal design of the 1601 model. So a fixed non-adjustable heelstrap and an extended sole to protect the underside of the wearer's heel. The foot pocket has a wider area for the toes. The blade appears to have corrugations, which would reinforce it without added weight. Symmetrical blade tips this time, so the fin can be used on either foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom