Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Spain: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Separating the valve and float is a smart idea as long as the seal opens up when you need to breathe. Certainly a hinged float carrying the seal directly could open if the diver is head down, but in reality the ambient pressure will hold it shut unless the diver breathes into the snorkel as the pressure outside exceeds that in the snorkel or the valve float is large. Anyone who has used the Oceanmaster dry snorkel will have noticed the squeeze effect in the snorkel if you don’t let some air into it when down in the water column. That snorkel has a caged cylindrical column float with a separate flat rubber ring as the seal. Really these valve devices are for surface swimmers being hit by an unexpected wave crest or surface chop.

P.S. I used the Oceanmaster snorkel for near shore swimming after some boys throwing stones scored a hole in one down my snorkel bore, the missile hitting me in the back of the throat, not a pleasant sensation. Not deliberate on their part, they never even knew that I was there. They remained oblivious to their lucky hit.

And here is the final page of the patent, with an illustration of the patented diving mask design:
The essence of the invention is (a) the metal rim with the top screw securing the lens and (b) the placement of the mask strap anchoring position on the metal rim rather than on the rubber skirt. Sadly, no evidence found of the design entering production at J. Carbonell Gimeno.

Another J. Carbonell Gimeno diving mask patent midweek.
This looks very close to the La Spiro Squale mask.

SeaRat

Separating the valve and float is a smart idea as long as the seal opens up when you need to breathe. Certainly a hinged float carrying the seal directly could open if the diver is head down, but in reality the ambient pressure will hold it shut unless the diver breathes into the snorkel as the pressure outside exceeds that in the snorkel or the valve float is large. Anyone who has used the Oceanmaster dry snorkel will have noticed the squeeze effect in the snorkel if you don’t let some air into it when down in the water column. That snorkel has a caged cylindrical column float with a separate flat rubber ring as the seal. Really these valve devices are for surface swimmers being hit by an unexpected wave crest or surface chop.

P.S. I used the Oceanmaster snorkel for near shore swimming after some boys throwing stones scored a hole in one down my snorkel bore, the missile hitting me in the back of the throat, not a pleasant sensation. Not deliberate on their part, they never even knew that I was there. They remained oblivious to their lucky hit.
Wow! That must have been quite a surprise!

SeaRat

This looks very close to the La Spiro Squale mask.

SeaRat
1690952069523.png
Indeed, John. Image of Squale mask above, distributed by La Spirotechnique during the 1950s.

And here is the drawing to accompany Spanish patent ES45812U:
1690952617946.png
So an "improved swimming paddle" with a symmetrical blade. The arrangement provides full-foot coverage other than cut-outs at the sides of the heel, presumably there, along with the drain hole on the top, to release water collecting in the foot pocket. No toe opening of the Cressi Rondine full-foot fin type.

Altogether a sandal-like design, similar to the original version of the Voit Viking of the mid-1950s:
1690953188198.png

Another J. Carbonell Gimeno fin patent at the weekend, one that actually entered production.

There follows the patent drawing:
1691297016700.png
So a patent for a design of a fixed open heel fin with a rib-reinforced blade. The innovations include an elongated blade with extended ribs for reinforcement and a specially shaped foot pocket with drain holes.

This fin design actually entered production:
1691297439352.png

1691297473629.png
The foot pocket is embossed with the name of the manufacturer (J. CARBONELL GIMENO), the city and country of manufacture (BARCELONA, ESPAÑA) and the word "PATENDADO" indicating that the product is patented.

Of course, this J. Carbonell Gimeno fin bears a very close resemblance to the Duck Feet fin originally manyfactured by The Spearfisherman company of Huntington Beach, California:
1691298292088.png

Here is an image of the Duck Feet packing department at The Spearfisherman:
1691298433428.png

And here is an advertisement acknowledging that Duck Feet had their imitators:
1691298577691.png

I wonder whether Arthur Brown, the proprietor of The Spearfisherman company, was aware of J. Carbonell Gimeno's Spanish patent.

This post completes our review of J. Carbonell Gimeno. Midweek I am minded to move on alphabetically to our next Spanish manufacturer: Copino.

Back
Top Bottom