Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1280px-Naxos-port.JPG

Florida sub Naxos diving mask, named after a Greek island, which is the largest of the Cyclades. Port of Naxos above. The diving mask:

1716354629252.png

1716354660271.png
1716354671484.png

Specifications similar to the Florida sub Isabelle diving mask. A rounded rectangular mask with plastic rim, rubber skirt and single headstrap. Model fitted with compensator bosses on the inside and finger wells on the outside for ear-clearing.

Two more Florida diving masks at the weekend.

1280px-Naxos-port.JPG

Florida sub Naxos diving mask, named after a Greek island, which is the largest of the Cyclades. Port of Naxos above. The diving mask:
OT: One of my favorite islands in the Kyklades. Has a fair bit of agriculture. Famous for the Naxian cheese and Naxian marble. Share's a lot of dive sites with the east side of Paros (now a mini Mykonos). Still fairly undeveloped compared to the more famous nearby islands (and resisted development until recently). 49 different villages, and I recommend exploring by car from wherever you stay.

Of course, best way to tour the Greek islands is by hiring a large sailboat to take you and 8 to 10 of your closest friends from island to island.

Thank you for this, wetb4igetinthewater. During the 1970s, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks one summer in a village a bus ride away from Athens. While I was there, I particularly enjoyed snorkelling daily from the beach in the company of young Greek people who lived in the neighbourhood. Like theirs, the mask, snorkel and fins I used were all purchased at a nearby sporting goods store.

During the 1970s, foreign tourists were relatively sparse on Greece's Mediterranean coastline and I relished the opportunity to mix with ordinary people as well as holidaymakers from abroad. When I made the booking at the travel agent's, I meant to spend a week on the mainland and a week on one of the islands, but sadly this split option was already sold out. So the only time the island of Naxos has otherwise impacted on my life was the one occasion when one of my university lecturers happened to mention Richard Strauss and Hugo von Hofmannsthal's opera "Ariadne auf Naxos".

It would have been the late 1970s. I don't recall which precise year it was.
OT continued: yeah, it took a while to recover from a military dictatorship. Those that went had the most amazing experiences. I was a kid visiting my grandparents almost every summer. Great times.

Thanks for the likes and posts, wetb4igetinthewater.

The Florida sub diving mask simply called "No. 3":

1716697844042.png
1716697860917.png

1716697875603.png
1716697894468.png

1716697910634.png

An oval diving mask with a rib-reinforced orange rubber skirt and a white plastic rim. No compensator this time.

And here is the Florida sub diving mask Super No. 4:

1716698114649.png

1716698138729.png
1716698160996.png

A red plastic rim and a black rubber skirt. Accordeon-style bosses on the inside and finger wells on the outside to pinch nostrils when ear clearing.

On to Florida sub breathing tubes midweek.

It is interesting to see so much snorkeling gear from my childhood in Greece. Thanks for sharing and giving me a trip down memory lane.

Thanks for the post, web4igetinthe water.

Today we take a look at Florida sub breathing tubes.

1716957834962.png

Snorkel No. 1 has a traditional J-shaped barrel with a lugged mouthpiece at the demand end and a ball valve at the supply end to cut off the airflow when the tip has submerged.

Back
Top Bottom