Basic Gear Care for Newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you get everything nice and clean, how long do you leave it out to dry?

And for longer storage between dive trips, do you pack the gear any differently? Meaning take the reg from bag? Hang the BC versus folding it up and storing it in a mesh dive bag? Things like that. Thanks agian.

I only pack my gear (into mesh bags, rubbermaid containers or whatever else) the night before I dive. Otherwise, it hangs on hangers or in an appropriate place - leaving it scrunched up/coiled/folded is not good for anything.

Jarrett:
Once you get everything nice and clean, how long do you leave it out to dry?

And for longer storage between dive trips, do you pack the gear any differently? Meaning take the reg from bag? Hang the BC versus folding it up and storing it in a mesh dive bag? Things like that. Thanks agian.

I let my gear hang till it ready to get wet again, BCD full of air. If your storing....I've been told not to fold up your wetsuit/BCD......I place my reg/computer in my dive backpack and other dry accesorries in my dive bag.

BC's like a leather jacket, I care for mine in the same way. I rinse out the bladders every time I dive. My light, fins, guages, knife, and any other gadgets stay hung up, where air can freely flow around, in a closet of course. Like anything, if you take good care of it, it'll last a long time. Don't be afraid to check your connections, that there tight, pull back the hose protectors and stuff. Always take exceptional care of your regulator, it's what you breath out of. Keep it clean, have it inspected every year.

And always make sure your gear is in good working order, before you head out to dive. Check your air tanks also, that there full. When you do head out. Take your extra stuff if you have any, including lead. I left mine at home today, good thing I had extra in my doors for that very reason, sooner or later you forget something. It's always little things like O rings, lead, and empty tanks you thought were full, that keep you from diving. :doh:

Salt water diver.

Jp

One of the instructors at the lds spends about 20 minutes cleaning his gear every day - religiously cleaning his bc inside and out - after 4 years of daily guiding/teaching in it, it still looks brand new ...

kidspot:
One of the instructors at the lds spends about 20 minutes cleaning his gear every day - religiously cleaning his bc inside and out - after 4 years of daily guiding/teaching in it, it still looks brand new ...

I don't do squat. Kinda half rinse stuff, throw it in a bag, and wait until the next time. Now, I know some that will say, that's because I own a dive shop... but really, I did it that way before I owned a shop. I just don't think preventative maintenance is that critical. I don't take of my BC, and it still looks good after 4 years... maybe not new looking... but still good. But let's assume that after 4 years of diving every day the stuff just self destructed and needed to be thrown away - not savable. If we look at the instructor that cleans for 20 minutes a day, every day, but let's assume some days he doesn't dive... 20 minutes x 300 days a year that's 6000 minutes, or 100 hours a year... time 4 years - 400 hours. Assuming you make about $15 an hour, that means you are spending $6,000 in labor time to maintain equipment you could replace for about $1,000 or 2. The way I look at that... Not worth while.

Now if you enjoy cleaning your stuff... like touching it, looking at it... if it's fun for you... go for it. But Me, I just rinse and stuff.

Now keep in mind also... I'm not a very organized person. There is stuff on the floor boards of my car, things all over my desk... so really, all the math above is just a way to help rationalize the fact that I'm lazy. But if you are too... feel free to use my numbers for justifying it! :crafty:

This maybe the current trend in gear maintaince ....... I notice while on a diving cruise that most gear didn't get rinsed and taken care of daily. You came up from your dive and left the gear attached to the tank on it's rack and the dive boat personal switched out tanks for you. This went on for a week and no one really took care of anything except their cameras and computers. No wonder BC's have a expected life of 5 to 7 years and we're paying $60 or more a year for annual regulator maintance and then expect to replace it ever 10 years ( $500 for reg ... $60 x 10 years = $600 annual maintence ..... $1100 for 10 years cost and upkeep .... )

You're my hero Larry. Your rationalization makes perfect sense to me. :D I mostly just hose off my gear on my driveway.

One thing I have been doing lately though is cleaning my regs soon after every dive: The "bag trick" where you fill a plastic lunch bag (the insulated kind) with water and stick the regs in and shake 'em. I figure this will extend their life; I'm cheap as well as lazy.

Haha, Larry I am digging your vibe :) I was hoping someone would say this because I am pretty lazy my dang self. Thanks.

scubatoys:
I don't do squat. Kinda half rinse stuff, throw it in a bag, and wait until the next time. .......

Now if you enjoy cleaning your stuff... like touching it, looking at it... if it's fun for you... go for it. But Me, I just rinse and stuff.
If we end up on the same boat sometime, I'll remember to stay upwind of you. :wink: My wetsuit is funky enough after a dive without adding in mildew from sitting damp in a bag. And from the energy efficiency (i.e. lazyman) point of view, think of how much lighter your gearbag would be with dry gear.

I do find that a quick dunk and swish around in a tub is sufficient to keep my BCD and regs in good shape, but sometimes the wetsuit and boots need a bit more vigorous cleaning with some baby shampoo. Still only takes a couple of minutes, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom